Are The Pistons Still Good?

Checkmate

i think i have a crank bearing letting loose. i pulled the head and saw some pittin/metal imprinted in the piston, when i took the head off.

check these pics out and tell me if you think the pistons are re-usable. the cyl walls look ok. the one dome looks like the piston top.

surprisingly the cylinder looks good. my dome does look similar.

most of the what you are seeing feels 'raised' on the surface, rather than pitted. i was wondering if i could just put the piston and dome both it a lathe and hit the faces with some 600 grit or something to get the material that is melted on there off. ??

But am i correct in assuming that i have a bad bearing in the crank? where else would the material come from?

i didn't run this motor for more than 3 minutes after a fresh top end. when i cheked the plugs i noticed material on the plug....that's why i pulled the head to see what was up.

If it is a crank bearing, where would i have it rebuilt? it's a hot rod crank. how much does a bearing job cost? they are selling rebuilt trued and welded cranks on ebay from time to time for $200. would it be better to just buy rebuilt from ebay or have mine rebuilt?

If you lathe one piston, it will be out of balance from the other. More stress on the crank. You can get a piston for $65. How long has it been since a top end rebuild anyway. That piston may work fine.. I just don't do things that way. I bet it would work... but is it worth it to find out !!!

From what I'm seeing you lost a bearing or a ring caught and busted up.

What made you take the motor apart. That would in deciding what's going on.

As far a rebuilding the crank. What are you going for? Do you want it to run just like it is or are you looking for more performance?

If you're looking for it to run like it is, I'd defenitley put a fresh crank in there. I have a used crank that a main bearing went out on. I had the bearing replaced, but I put a stroker in my shee.

T.D.R does good crank rebuilds. Send them yours and they'll send you a rebuilt one. I think it's $350 -$400. Or, find a shop that will rebuild them. Some charge $120 plus parts.

Lots of options here. Let us know why you took it apart... was the motor locked or what.

On the clutch basket, make sure the kick starte gear still has the e clip on it. I had it come off before. I went to the hardware store and bought a little smaller one that has worked out great. I'm not sure if that's your trouble... it's just something that comes to mind.

If you lathe one piston, it will be out of balance from the other. More stress on the crank. You can get a piston for $65. How long has it been since a top end rebuild anyway. That piston may work fine.. I just don't do things that way. I bet it would work... but is it worth it to find out !!!

i was only thinking on using emery on fine grit sandpaper on the piston and dome to 'clean it up' rather than using tooling and taking off material. the top end is less then 3 minutes old.

From what I'm seeing you lost a bearing or a ring caught and busted up.

all the rings are intact on both sides

What made you take the motor apart. That would in deciding what's going on.

i did my first plug chop on the fresh rebuild and saw the metal so i pulled the head to check it out. when i saw the piston top i pulled the jug to check the walls and rings. then i saw the shit in the bottom and pulled the motor out.

As far a rebuilding the crank. What are you going for? Do you want it to run just like it is or are you looking for more performance?

i just want my shit to run, no need to go stroker...i just bought this crank 20 hours ago

T.D.R does good crank rebuilds. Send them yours and they'll send you a rebuilt one. I think it's $350 -$400. Or, find a shop that will rebuild them. Some charge $120 plus parts.

do you know the shops names that will rebuild mine for $120 + ?

Lots of options here. Let us know why you took it apart... was the motor locked or what.

it never locked up. i think i shut it off before anything bad happened.

On the clutch basket, make sure the kick starte gear still has the e clip on it. I had it come off before. I went to the hardware store and bought a little smaller one that has worked out great. I'm not sure if that's your trouble... it's just something that comes to mind.

thanks, i'll check that out.