Timing Key

fah_Q

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the 4+ degree key from alba and installed it correctly along with a new top end job. With about six hours of duning in Glamis my shee lost compression. Both pistons melted and scarred the cylinder walls. When I split the cases to clean out the crank area, I found the degree key had broken into two pieces. My theory is that the erratic timing cause the melt down. So a $20.00 part cost me about $300.00 and a lot of work. Just my two cents. My recommendation would be to modify the stock timing plate.

Alba doesn't sell +4 keys... only +3. If you paid 20 bucks you paid too much as well. How did you install the key? Did you use a torque wrench? I bet the reason you smoked your topend was from detonation cause by too high of compression and not high enough octane gas.

SDD It was advertised as a +4 degree key, yes it was installed correctly, yes I used a torque wrench with cylimer manual specs. Yes you are right I didn't pay $20.00 for it, but I didn't think anyone would mind me rounding up. As far as compression, I have 21cc domes and I use premium pump gas.

How much kicking compression do you have Prerunner? What kind of oil do you use also? Was the tank of gas that you had in the bike old? Have you tried a leak down test to make sure you didn't have any air leaks? These are the reasons I think you melted down... the timing advanced only compounded these problems.