Backfires when trying to start

Working on a banshee for a buddy of mine. That had no spark after going through the aftermarket. Wire harness finding that the wires were not matching up with the Plugs on the stater and the c d I box. Now that i've established spark it only backfires when I try to start it. T o r s Is deactivated or disconnected along with all the other c***. Getting fuel getting spark already gotta leak downtast gotta good compression. Is it possible that the crank's been twisted? I checked to make sure pistons we're in sync, which they are.  Any help would be highly appreciated

Brand new spark plugs and gapped, compression test was done same time as leak down test. I checked magneto orientation with TDC piston.  If the timing is set to 17° before TDC . The tabs on outside of magneto were already way past pick up coil. If the crank twists, the timing advances or retards. Ive just been trying to understand how that happens 

Brand new spark plugs and gapped, compression test was done same time as leak down test. I checked magneto orientation with TDC piston.  If the timing is set to 17° before TDC . The tabs on outside of magneto were already way past pick up coil. If the crank twists, the timing advances or retards. Ive just been trying to understand how that happens 

That’s not super likely. Are you sure the stator and flywheel are good?

Do you have a known working CDI you can try?

I’m betting faulty flywheel and/or stator.