Sst Pipe Installation

efward

I am currently putting on a a new set of FMF SST pipes on a 2001. When installing the right side pipe, I can't help but notice that the large outer water pump hose is being pushed in by the fat section of the pipe. I know these water hoses are made for high internal temps, but are they really capable of handling an exhaust pipe pressed up against them? Seems to me that the pipe would burn right through the hose.

Am I missing something or is this normal?

thanks.

i never noticed till i read your post.i went and looked at mine and youre right.i have about a 1/16 to an 1/8 of clearance though.if your touching you might be able to loosen and rotate the hose a bit for clearance.i think maybe i'll get a small piece of high temp hose covering stuff from work and cover that small area for insurance.thanks for letting me see that :P

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I went to Gordons over New Years and put about 5 hours total on the new pipes. I inspected the hose when I got home and it looks fine. No melting.

I snuck a few peeks at other rides while I was there just to see if they had the same thing going on, and most of the pipe setups I saw were either touching the intake hose or very very close - 1/8" maybe.

I think I'll still go get some high temp tape or something...

Thats funny, I was just about to post this same question. My FMF Gnarleys also touch the water hose. They are touching pretty firmly. I had at least 3 or 4 hrs after putting the pipes on before I noticed the lack of clearance. I rode it about another 2 hrs since I discovered the problen and I still can't even tell by looking at, or feeling the hose that they touch, but I'm sure it will severely shorten the life of the hose or burn through eventually. I think the best solution would be to get some header insulation tape and wrap the hose as previously mentioned. Although, to properly do this I would need to remove the pipe and I'm not sure how well the tape will stick once it gets wet a few times. Therefore, I am going to go with a lasy approach at first and try a short piece of hose that is slightly larger in diameter than the radiator hose, splitting it, and putting it around the radiator hose for insullation. If the split hose trick doesn't cause any melted rubber, or ill effects then It will become perminant.

• 4 weeks later...

my 98 shee has a spring that goes over the hose that touches the pipe. i've rode for about a year with no problems. i painted the spring red to match my bike and to see if the paint will burn off.... if it does i will try something else