Reed Spacers For Drag? Or Not?

Southside Motorsports

Is is true that reed spacers will give you more top end h.p. if used on the outside of your reed valves or is it better to not use them at all. Wicked ATV motorsports makes an intake manifold that appears to have the reed spacer built into but it is on the out side of the reed valve.

Any advice would be appreciated I am currently running a 4.80 in 300ft. and am trying to get my times down.

My builder said to ditch them on my drag motor. I dont know too much about them, I wouldnt use them cause they double-triple your chances of an airleak. and some say they add low end and response, but obviously you increase the distance from the carb to the cylinder, so I dont see how you get quicker response.

• 2 weeks later...

by increasing the distance the carbs are from the reeds the more you increase velocity speed of the intake charge. The greater the charge the more torque you build. By increasing the distance of the reeds from the piston the better the throttle response you get.....more fuel/air in the engine.

As far as air leaks.......use a lite film of ultra grey silicone on all surfaces if you are concerned

Reedspacers more hp :lol: On the dyno no increase in hp or torqe.Dich the spacers.They will give you better throtle responce but will lower you crank pressure.If you dragging you don't want to lose no more than you have to.I've been building motors for years and the spacers is only a scame.You want more throtle responce invest in some ported reedcages and some dulestage reeds, or simply get some v-force.Something that will help you.

• 2 weeks later...
My builder says ditch them as well, the only advantage I see to runnion them is if you have clearence probs with your big carbs. But then again, aftermarket intakes usually sure that problem as well.

I thank you should put them on. I Have one on my blaster and it works real good. Also I tried it next to the motor, and cage ( not much of a gain there). When i placed it between the cage and carb it showed some (Hp). I can see it maken the shee rip.

There are differing opinions for sure. I sell 1/2", 3/4", and 1" reed spacers to one builder who builds some pretty mean drag motors, but I don't make any claims about them.

I think they are like boost bottles. Alot of people like them and some don't but by the dyno charts I have seen on several sites they don't do anything. I have a boost bottle but I know it doesn't do a damn thing, but that was after I got it so it stays, plus looks better than the tube!

yesterday i went to my local dyno after my recent mods....and the first run i made 121.2 hp with nitrous in the first run and with the reed spacers and boost bottle....and took them off in the second run and it made 123.5 hp.