Splitting Engine?

bs125r

I'm in the middle of rebuilding the top end and was wondering if I should split the motor and clean everything out before putting it back together. The piston and rings both had small pieces missing when I took it apart, but it doesn't look like it went between the piston and cylinder. Also the head on the left side is all dinged up should I have it repaired or should I replace it. I'm tight on funds so I'm trying to do it as cheap as possible. Any ideas what might have caused this?

link to pictures of piston and head.BMX WRIGHT

With those pistons missing all that metal from top I would definately take the little bit of extra time to split the cases and make sure everything is clean and especially that there are no pieces of metal that could throw your rod bearing. If that happened you would have to rebuild your bottom end (which isn't cheap) and your top end again. Just make sure you have a manual and follow the steps, it's a breeze.

wow your piston has a good chunk out of it, u better have a mecheniest check if u have enough meat left on your cyclinder wall to boar, u definetley have to boar it out and maybee buy a new cyclinder, Im not sure if u can buy a sleeve, I know u can with other bikes. A new sleeve would be way cheeper then 2 buy a cyclinder