Pipes

Otis

I'm finally getting around to piping the bike (3 years later.... :rolleyes: )

I've been around bikes for a while (mostly street bikes...4 strokes) but the

whole modding a 2 stroke is new to me.

After piping the banshee what else to i need to do...I'm not looking for gobbs of

HP, I'm mainly piping it for looks and sound(no i'm not a poser.... :lol: ) but want to

make sure that it's done right. I assume that i'm going to need to rejet, (mod the air box/filter??)

Any comments or suggestions?

One other thing...are those "package deals"(pipes,silencers,jet kit,bottle,reeds) something i should consider, or is that going overboard for what i want ?

thanks

I agree 100% with Justintoxicated, ugrading the air filter should be a priority. Since you're getting pipes do it at the same time and you'll only need to rejet once (and yes you'll HAVE to rejet for pipes). Depending on where you ride, there's several ways to go on the air filter:

1. For mostly sand riding or not alot of dust, I like a K&N with Outerwear (on a Pro Design or UMI Racing adapter plate, to get the most airflow with pipes run no lid)

2. Dual carb-mounted K&N's with Outerwears are also good for sand or no dust, you may lose a little bottom end power and have to clean 2 filters, but you can remove the airbox completely

3. For dusty or wet/muddy conditions, go with a good 2-stage foam filter on a Pro Design adapter plate, leave the lid off for best airflow or leave it on (without the snorkel) for deep water or mud

4. For dusty conditions but not alot of mud/water, Toomey's 2 into 1 filter works for dust protection and airflow

I wouldn't get the "kits", because chances are the jets won't be perfect and you'll wind up buying others, the boost bottle is worthless, and you can just get reeds separately. But after you get pipes and upgrade the air filter, it's up to you what you need; reeds for throttle response, aftermarket/shaved head for lowend power, advance the timing for a little more power across the band, etc. but you may also want to consider upgrading elsewhere like tires, gearing, suspension, even decals, just depends on what you wanna do...