Banshee wont take throttle

03blkbanshee

I'm fairly new to this forum and I hope that I am posting this in the correct forum. I am in the middle of a learning curve with these banshees here. When I bought this 2003 Banshee, it ran terrible. It has been sitting for a good couple of years. I rebuilt the carbs. I put the main jet back in (300) and the pilot jet (27.5). This has a K&N filter with no lid and FMF pipes. After carb rebuild, it does exactly the same thing. I switched pilot jets to 25 and still the exact same result. I know my floats are correct. If you choke it while attempting to ride it and manage to get the throttle between 1/4 and 1/2...she runs strong (after killing the choke). I just have nothing at low throttle. It sounds as if it is getting flooded by fuel or air. I have tried air mixture screws everywhere between 1/4 to 4 turns out...nothing. I have been trying to leave them at the 1-1/2 out. I have the banshee digital toolkit and it is saying 470 for mains and 32.5 for pilot...but not sure I am using that correctly. I live in Oregon and temps are averaging between 40 and 50. Does anyone have any advice they would be willing to share so I know where to look next? Seems like no matter what I do nothing seems to make any kind of difference. The last time I looked at the plugs they looked clean. Getting a bit frustrated here. Thanks in advance. When you try to give it throttle (like normal) it just bogs out and dies.

Also, did you clean all fuel lines well, not just the jets but the veins inside the carbs where fuel goes trough. I had a case where I cleaned the jets but the dirt was actually behind the pilot jet and the bike wouldn't idle on that cylinder,was working only on 1 at idle and was running hot at higher rpms

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

I have not tested the compression. I would need to get a compression and leak down tester. I would think if it has that much of a leak or really bad compression it wouldnt run nearly as good at higher throttles. She runs super strong at higher throttles. It is also being suggested to me that the racing fuel that is in it could be choking it out. I was at a bike shop buying other things and bought fuel there out of convenience. I am going to drain it (only about a gallon left anyway) and mix up premium. Is 40:1 a good ratio? The local bike shop here said that is the common ratio people are running. I have also heard that 32:1 is what a lot of people are running. Not sure the best ratio. I have been warned to not go above 50:1.

If you don’t have a compression tester you could pull the pipes off the jugs to at least get a peak at the pistons and make sure all is well. 
the lower your ratio the leaner your bike will be, 25:1 will run leaner than 40:1. 
I run 32:1 in all of my 2smokes

UPDATE...I got her fixed and she sounds really GOOD!! Going to take her out tomorrow if the weather will behave for a bit. I ended up pulling carbs back off and pulled the reeds out. Gaskets looked pretty horrid. Put new gaskets in (reeds looked just fine) and put her all back together. Was in the process of syncing carbs and it was still not working. Then I released the parking brake and suddenly she started running awesome and was able to get carbs synced. Will put air box back in tomorrow and finally go ride it!! I am a very happy camper. Anybody know if these parking brakes are supposed to do this? Bike wont take throttle if parking brake is on? I have heard somewhere about a rev limiter associated with the parking brake, I thought it was just if there was something wrong with it though. Anyway, many many thanks to ALL who replied to my posts trying to help me out...VERY MUCH appreciated!!

UPDATE...I got her fixed and she sounds really GOOD!! Going to take her out tomorrow if the weather will behave for a bit. I ended up pulling carbs back off and pulled the reeds out. Gaskets looked pretty horrid. Put new gaskets in (reeds looked just fine) and put her all back together. Was in the process of syncing carbs and it was still not working. Then I released the parking brake and suddenly she started running awesome and was able to get carbs synced. Will put air box back in tomorrow and finally go ride it!! I am a very happy camper. Anybody know if these parking brakes are supposed to do this? Bike wont take throttle if parking brake is on? I have heard somewhere about a rev limiter associated with the parking brake, I thought it was just if there was something wrong with it though. Anyway, many many thanks to ALL who replied to my posts trying to help me out...VERY MUCH appreciated!!
I assume T. O. R. S. is still on the bike. You have switches on parking brake, thumb throttle and both carburettors that all wire into black box under your fuel tank that make up Throttle Override System.
And yes, if the parking brake is on the bike won't pass 2000 revs.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk