Hotrod crank tight after installing new seals

Mighty Shee

I had new bearings installed in 4 mil got rid crank. I place it in the bottom half of case and it spins freely. I’m doing this without the top half of case. Once I install the 2 new crank seals the crank is a bit tougher to turn. I did pack the inside of the seals with plenty of grease. Is it normal that the crank would be a bit less smooth to turn with brand new seals? Also, I ripped the darn rubber band that goes around the red piece in the middle of the crank. What’s that rubber piece for and can I still install the crank with that rubber broken?cd31020876f2f4de0bb5c85fc6730dd6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had new bearings installed in 4 mil got rid crank. I place it in the bottom half of case and it spins freely. I’m doing this without the top half of case. Once I install the 2 new crank seals the crank is a bit tougher to turn. I did pack the inside of the seals with plenty of grease. Is it normal that the crank would be a bit less smooth to turn with brand new seals? Also, I ripped the darn rubber band that goes around the red piece in the middle of the crank. What’s that rubber piece for and can I still install the crank with that rubber broken?cd31020876f2f4de0bb5c85fc6730dd6.jpg

That's called an o-ring. You can buy replacement one, no big deal.

Envoyé de mon SM-G965W en utilisant Tapatalk

The pink thing is a labyrinth seal. The orings keep it and the bearings from moving and chattering.
You can just CA glue the oring back together, or buy a new one. You can also just smear motoseal around it.

It doesn’t seem as if there is any stress applied to this o-ring, only that it would be smashed between the two case halves. If I cannot find a new one in Southern Ca. today I guess I’ll just try using CA glue to glue the two ends back together. I’d rather find a new one to buy.

Anyone have any info on my seal question? I’m thinking new crank seals mean a bit tighter crank seals for at least until they are broken in.

• Like 1