Compression and electrical problem solving

On 8/28/2019 at 3:02 PM, gusto said:

I just refile the metal on the frame and re-install.  Throw on your old harness and see if that is the cause.  If the old harness when installed still doesn't fire up I would start looking at the carbs.

Have you checked the compression after the non start issues?

gotcha. I dont see a grounding strap other than the one toward the back of the frame near the voltage regulator. Im assuming if a have a nice blue spark than my ground is adequate?

Ill get into the carbs tomorrow, though I dont think thats the case; Ill post my findings...

the old harness was rotten and had been spliced a dozen times. So, I replaced it with a 2004 OEM Yamaha harness and have ridden the bike a number of times since the install.

Btw, the compression comes in a 125~ for both cylinders. Its low, but should be more than enough for the bike to run. Additionally, I ran a crankcase pressure test prior to reinstalling the engine. It held 7psi for 8 hours. So...thats not the issue.

• Like 1

gotcha. I dont see a grounding strap other than the one toward the back of the frame near the voltage regulator. Im assuming if a have a nice blue spark than my ground is adequate?
Ill get into the carbs tomorrow, though I dont think thats the case; Ill post my findings...
the old harness was rotten and had been spliced a dozen times. So, I replaced it with a 2004 OEM Yamaha harness and have ridden the bike a number of times since the install.
Btw, the compression comes in a 125~ for both cylinders. Its low, but should be more than enough for the bike to run. Additionally, I ran a crankcase pressure test prior to reinstalling the engine. It held 7psi for 8 hours. So...thats not the issue.
125 psi is more than enough, it should be purring with that compression,when it drops under 110 is when it starts to play up.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, the boris said:

125 psi is more than enough, it should be purring with that compression,when it drops under 110 is when it starts to play up.

I had it running great. I put the bike in the garage before going out of town on business for a week and when I came back, no joy. I started the afternoon before I left, after a wash job as a sanity check to ensure  the wash didnt mess with anything.

2 hours ago, the boris said:

Check the slides, I had them other way around and my bike would only start at half open throttle and would run rich as.

no carburator configuration changes have been made since the last ride. Im runing mikuni tm34's, one cannot install the slides backward as the carb design will not allow it.

• Like 1

Just now, the boris said:

What timing advice are you running?

its np.

+1 on a billet timing plate.

I had these same symptoms 2 weeks ago; I installed a new generator and it cranked right up. I understand that new doesnt mean good. but, the likelihood that a brand new oem stator failed after one right has got to be very small....this is frustrating as hell. 

when I get into the carbs Ill post my findings, though i doubt Ill find anything out of place 

• Like 1

its np.
+1 on a billet timing plate.
I had these same symptoms 2 weeks ago; I installed a new generator and it cranked right up. I understand that new doesnt mean good. but, the likelihood that a brand new oem stator failed after one right has got to be very small....this is frustrating as hell. 
when I get into the carbs Ill post my findings, though i doubt Ill find anything out of place 
Fuck mate, I don't know what to tell you.
If it was working fine and you turned it off and won't start again, I would think it's something electrical,but considering you checked everything, I really don't know.
I'm perplexed and bamboozled by your boke

7 hours ago, the boris said:

Fuck mate, I don't know what to tell you.
If it was working fine and you turned it off and won't start again, I would think it's something electrical,but considering you checked everything, I really don't know.
I'm perplexed and bamboozled by your boke

me too. 

The first time I replaced the stator my thought was this: The original stator fell within Ohmic limits but was on the low end of the spectrum at 113ohms. Could it be possible to have an internal short across a winding that reduced resistance but not out of limit? ie the stator originally wouldve had 130ohms and now it reads 133ohms, or something like that.

so, I but an oem stator after examining everything else. the bike started right up.

now its exhibiting the same symptoms. my thinking is that my odds of getting 2 bad stators in a row have got to be slim.

idk bro, Im at a loss as well....

ill continue to post any finding / results