Crank seal?

Eric_C1

Took the shee on her maiden voyage this season and and it didn't last very long, after warming her up I started doing some pulls and noticed that she was cheechin real good out the right side pipe, shut it down and let it cool off, started it back up and was smoking normal again so I did a another pull on it and after getting warmed up she started smoking pretty bad again. Checked the head gasket and I don't see any leaks on it, it didn't seem to lose any fluids but I wasn't riding that long. Plugs looked very black and wet so shes definitely rich but I always run it rich and never seen it smoke like this so i'm thinking the crank seal is blown, also noticed there's a nice little pool of oil behind my front sprocket so guess that seal took a shit too. If it was my crank seal would it effect how the engine runs? cause it runs completely normal besides the extra smoke. Had a head gasket blow before and you can instantly notice a drop in performance but I didn't notice anything this time. Is there anything else I should check before before splitting the cases? really hoping I don't have to but all the signs point to the crank seal so it might just have to be done. If anyone has any ideas before I break her open that'd be great. 

My mods are 

FMF pipes, pod filters, +4 timing. This was the first ride after adding the +4 timing plate so i'm thinking this had something to do with it.

290 mains, 3rd clip, 27.5 pilot 

Wtf does "cheechin" mean?

Sounds like it could be the seal. Does the smoke smell like gear oil? You could pressure test the engine to verify a leak. Or just buy a seal kit and go to town. Only takes a few hours to do. Don't forget rtv on the keyway. And get a seal pick set to remove the smaller seals.

The oil by the sprocket is almost always the neutral safety plate. The plastic cracks, get a billet one.

Timing plates don't cause seals to leak.

41 minutes ago, Keno said:

Wtf does "cheechin" mean?

Sounds like it could be the seal. Does the smoke smell like gear oil? You could pressure test the engine to verify a leak. Or just buy a seal kit and go to town. Only takes a few hours to do. Don't forget rtv on the keyway. And get a seal pick set to remove the smaller seals.

The oil by the sprocket is almost always the neutral safety plate. The plastic cracks, get a billet one.

Timing plates don't cause seals to leak.

cheechin as in smoking aka cheech and chong reference

when my crank seal blew out completely there was an instant loss in performance and it will smoke like a train out the right side because of sucking tranny oil in.   A pressure test with the clutch cover removed will rule this out as said above, you might just be able to take the cover off and see that the seal is bad somewhere without the test, I did, but mine was shredded so it was quite obvious. 

Edited by Ayesully810