Carb upgrade

I’m getting my rebuild list together for my 04. I decided to have my jugs done with a good mx/trail port and stick with a stock bore and stroke. 

I will be most likely running fmf pipes and open air box so I’m wondering if there’s any benifit upgrading the carbs too. I’m looking for around 60 hp or so with a good bottom to mid rev. Thanks

its rare for me to disagree with Ayesully but I would go with 33 pwks because you can grow into them and not be over carbed. I ran 33's with a build like yours and it ran great. now I run a 4 mill bored to max (412) and the carbs are not to small.

11 hours ago, mercury65 said:

its rare for me to disagree with Ayesully but I would go with 33 pwks because you can grow into them and not be over carbed. I ran 33's with a build like yours and it ran great. now I run a 4 mill bored to max (412) and the carbs are not to small.

ive never ran 33s so i wasnt sure how d they compare to 28s.  I ran stockers on my 4 mil and it def had more bottom end but i think 28s would let them breathe a little more.  I love my 35s they just drink fuel 

Edited by Ayesully810

6 hours ago, Ayesully810 said:

ive never ran 33s so i wasnt sure how d they compare to 28s.  I ran stockers on my 4 mil and it def had more bottom end but i think 28s would let them breathe a little more.  I love my 35s they just drink fuel 

I think you have your carbs mixed up with your beer hand lol

For your application, MX/Trail.

It's stock carbs all the way, I've had both stock, rejetted (Toomey kit) stock and now have 33 PWKs.

All carbs setups dialed  in on dyno by professional shop.

The stock carbs  just perform awesome, and frankly..I personally feel they out perform or equal the PWKs in most areas of riding, with the exception of flat out drag racing in a serious port,/stroker motor.

Also my 33PWKs, just SUCK THE FUEL....It's awful, I'm serious, It seems to guzzle gas at twice the rate of the stock 26mm.

Like stated above, save some money!! Buy a jet kit& filter and keep up with all of us w bigger carbs....you'll laugh all the way to the bank.

There's alot of cold hard fact, regarding this.

1.) Stock carbs run just great on your average MX/trail ported , stock or +4 mil motors, just as hard and MUCH less  gas. Desert racers used stock carbs, for the exact above reasons.

2.) CT Racing , gets 70 h.p on stock carbs and will prove it.

3.) I've ran RZ350 road/track bikes since forever, (Same motor as Banshee except addition of power valves). It's where the Banshee motor originated, Actually from the 1982 Yamaha YPVS Rz/Rd 250s. 

All I can say is the jetted stock carbs, have always, out performed or equalled ANY larger carb on the street. Only on heavily ported track bike motors  have I ever really seen a  noticable advantage.

4.) I feel Mikunis are ultimately more adjustable than PWKs, but take a lil more time to dial in. Others may  differ , that's all good.

And PWKs seem to marginally better throttle response.

So there's my 2¢ of advice.

PWK,  carbs, filters and set up are likley  $300.00-$500.00.

Stock  carbs w Toomey jet kit 2-1 filter is around $150.00....

They offer alot for a fraction of the price, and sacrifice very little to PWKs

Good choice. I loved my 28s I had on a stock port stock stroke shee, it was such a fun play motor. But my stockers on my current motor on 65hp do just fine as well. Good low end for a shee and decent gas mileage for a shee.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SandSlingerOR said:

Good choice. I loved my 28s I had on a stock port stock stroke shee, it was such a fun play motor. But my stockers on my current motor on 65hp do just fine as well. Good low end for a shee and decent gas mileage for a shee.

true that, it was insane how much better the gas mileage was going from 35s to stockers on my old setup 

The gas mileage is dramatic.
I should have stayed with the stock carbs..but my builder sold me a set of brand PWK 33mm for $250.00 bucks..at the time I had tunnel vision regarding h.p.
They work fine, no complaints..but my 33mm use a shit-ton more fuel than the stock 26mm carbs did, and I run race fuel so it gets expensive for trail riding. I'd say a full (5.5 gallon desert tank lasts me about 1.5hrs..
But my friends CPI Cheetah with 38mm PWK airstrikers goes through a full 4.0 gal tank in 45 minutes.
It's utterly useless for long desert rides.
For him it's good...but for me would be a real bummer.
My girlfriend has a 100% stock original condition Banshee exept for FMF slipons, It's a museum peice..it's flawless ..and her Baby............Nothing's better than stock sometimes for just plain ol riding long distance.