VERY HARD TO START

dwall88

I'm new to owning a banshee or even quads. my first one. was given a 2000 banshee, was told it won't start. get it home, get carbs off cleaned up, ended up having to do a Tors delete kit, New reed cage gaskets. took a couple kicks then fired up, shut it off cuz it was leaking gas, got that fixed went to start it again and wouldn't fire, pulled plugs cleaned up and couple kicks it fires up again.. every time shut it off it takes a quite a few kicks and cleaning spark plugs to fire again.. last time had it running for a couple mins and noticed left side side exhaust( looking from back of quad) is hot and the right side is ice cold. did spark test and both seem to be sparking just fine, but went ahead and bought new spark plugs just in case.. but still having same issue. a friend that has been helping me with it says I may have a dead cylinder haven't done a compression test yet, will be doing that this weekend. just out of curiosity is there anything else that would cause this problem without it being a dead cylinder issue..  and also will a regular compression tester work on quads.. as I said to new to whole thi ng any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Check spark(on both cylinders), check compression, pull carbs and go comepletely through them. 

Tear them all the way down and put them in carb dip, soak overnight then blow everything out with compressed air or brake cleaner. Get some torch tip cleaners and clean all the jets, set your floats and try again

• 4 weeks later...

Come on guys....keep it simple. He's already stated he's new to banshees and these things are a little different.....

Have you looked between your carbs yet? There should be a small black tube that connects both the carbs together. This is your "choke tube".....without it in place, the banshee will be VERY tough to get to start.

Very true. I assume people use the search tool and read a shit ton, try things out.... and when ready to set it on fire ask the questions..... 

definitely check to see if the choke tube is there, fits tightly, and is not cracked.....