Reversed Pickup Coil Wires?

prosser9981

Just cleaning up wiring on a Banshee i acquired.

The 2 wires from the pickup coil to CDI (red/white & green/white), have been cut and rewired reversed before plugging into the CDI plug.

Engine ran normal this way. Is this a mod or is there any reason for it being this way?

I am taking a guess and say the stator is chinese. I bought one off ebay and it was wired the same way. The only way to get it to work is to reverse the wires. I through the junk in the gargage. Lesson learned.

I am taking a guess and say the stator is chinese. I bought one off ebay and it was wired the same way. The only way to get it to work is to reverse the wires. I through the junk in the gargage. Lesson learned.

I have seen this as well on a 250R

• 3 weeks later...

Get a hold of motor city Atv for oem coils and stators. If you have a problem with the guy than I'm sorry for posting this but I have nothing but good things to say about the guy.

Motor City ATV is the WORST place to buy parts... unless you want shitbox parts more worn out than what you're replacing....

I saw the parts that started this post -- it was all true!

http://www.bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?/topic/133195-fuck-you-mikinia-38/?hl=minkia

I've never ordered used parts from him, but friends of mine have been burned. With that being said I have bought a few Driveline performance parts new from there, and it worked out.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

The wires mattered in my case.  I got an Electrosport stator for my 250r.  I plugged it in to match the wire colors on the bike.  It had trouble starting and would pop and miss like it was out of time.  Put a meter on the pickup while kicking and it showed negative voltage.  I switched the pickup wires around and it fired fine and ran with no problems.  That was 2 years ago and it's still running this way.

That is entirely possible! The trigger circuit can be done several ways looking for 'A' voltage or looking for positive voltage.  Maybe someone will test their bike to confirm.  We have a test rig on the bench but our scope is out on a job or I would just test it.  

I have deleted my prev post so as not to mislead until that can be confirmed.  Somewhere I have a snap shot from the scope.  Will look.  

When I think about this more, I believe you see a sharp rise, then an opposite decay voltage and if it triggers off the opposite voltage, timing could be affected, causing a few degrees retarded timing.