87 Front Breaks Compared to 90+ question

Wiz12

So working on my project 87 banshee pics in the images thread... But i am having an issue. Front brake parts are seriously hard to find for this bike since it is an 87 and they are different than all the rest pretty much. I had to order newer calipers and am wondering about the rotors. i have the stock 87 hubs (powder coated so i dont want to change them) is there anyway to fit the new rotors on the 87 hub or what is the issue with this? anyone know where i can get aftermarket rotors for an 87? What should i do here? trying to order more parts. Thanks in advance.

Not sure if you know this, but you will need newer knuckles to mount the newer calipers.

Raptor 700 or YFZ 450 calipers are the same dual piston caliper.

2009 YFZ450R's or newer have the best master cylinder to run the dual piston calipers from the raptor or 450.

And if you can get a hold of YFZ450R rear hubs, you can widen the ass end by 1.5".

• Like 2

As far as the interchangeablity of rotors and hubs go, from what I can tell comparing part numbers in RMATV, Yamaha changed the part number prefixes, but the main number appears to be the same.

I looked at the rotors, rotor rock guards and rotors.

Not sure if you know this, but you will need newer knuckles to mount the newer calipers.

Raptor 700 or YFZ 450 calipers are the same dual piston caliper.

2009 YFZ450R's or newer have the best master cylinder to run the dual piston calipers from the raptor or 450.

And if you can get a hold of YFZ450R rear hubs, you can widen the ass end by 1.5".

actually already have the rear hubs :) was looking at those calipers as well i still have not bought them because of this issue

As far as the interchangeablity of rotors and hubs go, from what I can tell comparing part numbers in RMATV, Yamaha changed the part number prefixes, but the main number appears to be the same.

I looked at the rotors, rotor rock guards and rotors.

Not worried about the rock guards because this will be a dune only bike i wonder what the difference is then if the part numbers are the same.

http://www.bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?/topic/166533-stuck-on-brakes/

Link to a thread with pics of the differences in A-J arm rotors, bolts and hubs.

Don't know if that will you help or not.

hmm that actually brings up another issue i might face with the hubs not fitting correctly if i do go with other calipers. Really this all started because i can not for the life of me find a brake rebuild kit for the 87 shee. No idea who sells them but i can order all the parts individually on motosport but just the piston and seals are $56.00 or so each. again the performance of the brakes is not critical because it is a dune bike regardless of what brakes are on there it can still lock them up in the sand.  

I'll tell you what.

My 02 with dual piston calipers and 450R MC will out stop my buddy's 89 on the asphalt by many, many feet.

Locking up your tires will not stop you sooner.

Think about how ABS works.

Decelerating without skidding is paramount in a panic stop no matter what terrain you ride.

The only way for you to covert to the newer brakes is to convert to newer knuckles, rotors and hubs.

The newer calipers will not mount to your old knuckles.

Then your older hubs will not work with the newer knuckles.

My first Banshee was an 87 that I picked up in 94.

I have everything I mentioned above from a 2000 ready to go when I can afford to build her for my two teenage boys to ride.

• Like 1

Welp looks like i will be buying all new stuff then and re powder coating to. But whatever will get it done this part any ways. What spindels are you running or will fit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro