Transfer ports

SlowMoe

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its fairly common knowledge that the transfer ports quickly become the bottleneck once you've opened the exhaust up so much.

My question is, is the main botttleneck at the windows or in the runners?

I can't answer that, but I think another "bottleneck" in porting is how wide you can make the Exhaust port before it eats rings.

Seems like the shape in general dictates just how wide you can go, and be safe. I've talked to guys that have went 80%, or better, but they have there shit down as well. If I remember right You want the sides of your exhaust roof to taper off 3-5* from the middle.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Edited by bigweav81

Lotta cylinders on my bench. The best running, and stuff from guys with top notch reputation are pretty similar shape. Pretty much a symmetrical trapezoid.

Are you talking about a flat roof with the exception of radiused edges? If so what would the minimum radius be with, say, a 75% port? Pics?

Edited by SlowMoe

My question is, is the main botttleneck at the windows or in the runners?

it should be fine even if the cross sectional area of the runner is equal to the window because the piston is partially covering the window most of the time anyways. like putting a finger on a garden hsose and varying how much you cover it. if the runner diverges slightly may still be fine also since like I said before the piston blocks da window most the time anyhow

rather than make the exh roof flat as possible your best bet is add addition exh ports if you have the meens. theres good reason why monoports went out of style 25yrs ago. mcdaddy gave a good demonstration in the dyno section