Back from the Dyno (Need Advice)

danny

Brandon,

Do you have a link to some calipers that fit in the cylinder or do you just cut a set down?

I need to double check some things in another motor. I usually just use a degree wheel, but this motor is apart.

You should not need anything special for this.   standard 6-8" calipers have a tail that sticks off the end when you open them.  That little tail is calibrated to measure depths.   If you want something special, there are lots of measuring devices out there that might make life easier for you.  Something that works well for us is clay. Push it into an area to get an impression, then measure the clay.  This is not dead accurate but pretty close. 

You should not need anything special for this. standard 6-8" calipers have a tail that sticks off the end when you open them. That little tail is calibrated to measure depths. If you want something special, there are lots of measuring devices out there that might make life easier for you. Something that works well for us is clay. Push it into an area to get an impression, then measure the clay. This is not dead accurate but pretty close.

I guess that would get me close enough. When I had measured before I used a small set that fit into the bore. It was at a builders shop.

Thank you sir.

• Like 1

What about the motor free porting? When it's at TDC and the piston skirt doesn't cover up the ex port and the intake charge comes through the reeds, intake, and out the ex port.

Just curious, have you measured the ports and piston before making that statement?

• Like 1

What about the motor free porting? When it's at TDC and the piston skirt doesn't cover up the ex port and the intake charge comes through the reeds, intake, and out the ex port.

I think blowit was mainly referring to the transfers when he spoke of lowering the floor to match the piston top. lowering the exh floor isn't something I do but maybe he has his own ideas. even if you did lower the exh floor it wouldn't cause a hole when the pistons at tdc since the standard oem/513 piston has long skirts. now other engines you can run into that problem, like some Hondas

Edited by registered user
  • Like 1

I think blowit was mainly referring to the transfers when he spoke of lowering the floor to match the piston top. lowering the exh floor isn't something I do but maybe he has his own ideas. even if you did lower the exh floor it wouldn't cause a hole when the pistons at tdc since the standard oem/513 piston has long skirts. now other engines you can run into that problem, like some Hondas

But what about piston sticking UP into the exhaust port at BDC? That was the scenario I had in mind when I asked what was the significance.

was it +4 cylinders with standard crank or something ? other wise im not sure why the piston would be above the exh floor. what ever the reason it doesnt seem logical to me

It's not a 4 mil. And not a mismatched build. I'm going to take another look and can post up some pics (in a day or 2) if you want.