Clutch Adjustment, too tight?

sr73087

So I adjusted my clutch after having a shifting issue and after the adjustment it is much better however shifting is still not great and sometimes does not want to go into the next gear. However, I noticed the bike jerks slightly in neutral. Is this typically a symptom of a clutch issue? I attached a video of this, keep an eye on the chain.

http://vid138.photobucket.com/albums/q256/sr73087/IMG_2642.mp4

Is that issue similar to this? My CR500 slowly rotates the rear tire when idling on the stand. I was told that is vibration through the clutch causing the slight rotation... Just my guess..

Are your rear tires spinning while this is happening OP?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so that is good news. I am still concerned however about the shifting issues. Until it is warm it still will stall if I put it in 1st with the clutch it. It will lurch forward and die. If I try to kickstart while in 1st with the clutch in, it will pull forward slightly. Once it warms up it will not die, but may cause me to slowly roll forward. Unit will start and idle very well in neutral. Once moving many times it will not shift to the next gear regardless of rpm range. Seems to downshift alittle easier than upshift.

It may be stretched, but either way it's not gonna hurt to replace the cable. You may be surprised at how much easier you clutch pull is also. Their cheap enough to be replaced once a year or so and keep your old one as a spare, they should be flushed with a cleaner and re-lubed often also. 

If you adjust your clutch going by the case arrow/actuator arm you may need more adjustment. The arrows basically don't mean shit, sometimes if you adjust it to where your actuator is more to the right side of the case arrow it seems like you get more "throw". Another thing is if your clutch lever/perch are not right you wont get enough throw also, such as if you are running a lever with too much bend to it, it's gonna hit the handle bar before it should if that makes any sense. 

Lot of guys like ASV. I got some cheap ass perch and lever that a shop local to me had so I picked it up one day just to get rid of the ugly stock junk. Always planned to get a good set up but it's been on there for a couple years and works fine.

• 8 months later...

So I replaced the clutch cable and adjusted finally and the clutch pull feels great but while cold, if I shift into 1st, the quad wants to die. If I let it warm up, it seems normal. One thing to not is that the trans and clutch plates were drained for awhile. Could this simply be sticky clutch plates and once they get the proper lubrication they should function properly? Still haven't shifted up and down under much throttle yet to see if that issue was resolved as well.