Electrical Upgrade

Hi, as previously detailed, I have a 2013 Yamaha Banshee w/ FMF fatty pipes, powercore 2 silencers, toomey 2:1 filter, +4 timing plate, etc.

image.jpg

This time around I am upgrading the electrics. Specifically:

• Speedo/odo/tach
  • Permanent battery
  • As bright an LED light bar as is feasible.
  • UHF/CB solution
  • New reeds (not electrical but I have the current ones out anyway so why not)

Money is a moderate issue, same as before. I am probably willing to splurge to an absurd extent anyway, like before :) Thankfully I now have a Clymer manual, so maintenance and repairs have been going much easier recently.

Speedometer

I've found a speedo/odo/tach I like: the Trail Tech Vapor , so that's sorted. I was intent on getting one which measures the wheel revolutions rather than using inaccurate GPS and the such. Plus a tachometer, temps, and hour-meter will be helpful.

I'm an information guy.

Battery

The permanent battery I hear I'll need to do a DC conversion for, but I'm a little unsure on whether I need a rectifier/regulator and what exactly I need to do.

Would very much prefer to not have to upgrade the whole stator. Please advise!

LED light bar

The light bar I'm split on. I would really like to throw down $600 on this Baja Designs OnX6 10" bar, as it produces 11,000 raw lumens and has both spot and wide LEDs. That said, there are a lot of ~6000 lumen (effective too, whereas BD quotes raw) light bars out there on the cheap - sub $150. Any brand suggestions in this area would be well appreciated.

Will such a light bar (101W) work with the battery? I hear the stock stator produces about 70W in total - I don't mind relying on the battery so long as on net I get about an hour before a flat. I can then just recharge it at home for the next outing (or not use the lights until it recharges).

I want the brightness to be truly absurd for an ATV. I want to have better lights than any of the decked out 4wds I happen to pass ;)

Reeds

Pretty sure about the vForce 4 reeds. May as well get your perspective.

So yeah, any advice you can offer would be much appreciated. This is pretty early into my research, but I thought I'd drop a line and fish for some solutions. I will take pics as I go and keep you updated.

Thanks.

UHF/CB Radio

I would like the following:

• Headset into my helmet
  • Microphone into my helmet
  • Push to talk button on left handlebar

I have seen UHF radios for your car which have a wireless push to talk button you can strap to the steering wheel. I would prefer something similar. Preferably handheld, but I am cautious though willing to consider some sort of inbuilt option if necessary.

Basically, I want a proper radio setup.

• Like 1

Do a DC conversion,battery and a custom stator from member sheerider1026 and will be hands down your best upgrade. As for lights I've used from low Budget china ones to Baja designs, rigid and Vision X. You get what you pay for and the quality stuff is pricey but my favorite so that's what I run.

One of my trail bikes with Baja designs Squadron pro lights and S2 on bars.

0c07a8cf6a15548419a5857fdb77921b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow that beach looks virgin sand.

Winter in a town of 250 with a coastline of 100km+ makes for some remote riding. Shit all out there. I've been pretty fortunate in my location. So have you, Oregon must be great!

Do a DC conversion,battery and a custom stator from member sheerider1026 and will be hands down your best upgrade. As for lights I've used from low Budget china ones to Baja designs, rigid and Vision X. You get what you pay for and the quality stuff is pricey but my favorite so that's what I run.

One of my trail bikes with Baja designs Squadron pro lights and S2 on bars.

0c07a8cf6a15548419a5857fdb77921b.jpg

Thanks for the reply. That setup looks sweet. I had originally planned to have one on the bars so I get better coverage when turning. Do you recommend?

How might I obtain a stator from sheerider1026? Just PM?

Edited by LoveThePolice
  • Like 1

Winter in a town of 250 with a coastline of 100km+ makes for some remote riding. Shit all out there. I've been pretty fortunate in my location. So have you, Oregon must be great!

Thanks for the reply. That setup looks sweet. I had originally planned to have one on the bars so I get better coverage when turning. Do you recommend?

How might I obtain a stator from sheerider1026? Just PM?

Bar mount lights work great for turning, so yes I would recommend.

Yes send Sheerider1026 (Gary Tabor on Facebook) a PM and he will get you set up on the stator and what rectifier to buy.

• Like 1

Bar mount lights work great for turning, so yes I would recommend.

Yes send Sheerider1026 (Gary Tabor on Facebook) a PM and he will get you set up on the stator and what rectifier to buy.

Hmm, maybe I'll stick a second light up there, much smaller wattage.

Just throwing this out there, look up Carbon Tech for reeds, they use a stock cage and they come in high or low tension, depends how you want your motor to act. I use there low tension reeds and it was a noticeable change over stock... 

http://www.carbontech.com/

I'll need new cage for vforce4 but not Carbon Tech?

You from Australia?

Sent from my OUKITEL U2 using Tapatalk

Yeah mate.

They use a oem reed cage, I think $94 usd did both cylinders, very nice people to talk to

Sent from my phone

Wow, very inexpensive! If my local store stocks them or can get them in I will, otherwise I'll unfortunately have to go for the vForce 4. Going back to the image in the OP next Friday and I wouldn't mind having it all set up for then.

Wow, very inexpensive! If my local store stocks them or can get them in I will, otherwise I'll unfortunately have to go for the vForce 4. Going back to the image in the OP next Friday and I wouldn't mind having it all set up for then.

Yeah, being in Australia kinda put alittle limitation on things...but both will work, I just wanted to chime in for a company not to many people know about

Sent from my phone

• Like 2