421 cub snagged ring?

Buddy came to me and asked if i could put his banshee back together, motor was assembled by a site sponsor and had never been cranked, still had tissue with tapeover the sparkplug holes.

So I put the engine in, set up the 34 pjs to the builders jetting recommendation and it started second kick, and idled almost perfect. A couple of adjustments and on the bike tested awesome,idled nicely, hit like a cub should, and friend was scared after riding it as it came up in third and I guess he's never had that happen... anyways he calls me few days later saying it won't stay idling and could I help jet it. He drops it off to me and it has 50psi of compression, so I dig in. What do You guys think caused this mess (obviously ring snagged) port not chamfered, incorrect ring gap, or what? He just spent a ass load of money on this and it only made it through a tank and a half of gas. I feel bad for the guy. Here's the pics. 0f5d5d690555b252825edfb532da2439.jpgbad28fe41a77f538c467579e111c9bbc.jpg

I definitely will and that is why I haven't named names, just discovered this and wanted to see if anyone else has seen this happen as I would think these are cookie cutter by now..hell I've assembled 3 and I beat the crap out of my serval. I understand shit happens to the best, Guess it was a freak accident?

Um, does your buddy know how to mix gas? There's zero cross hatch on the walls, and the oil grooves are gone off the piston.

There seems to be zero lubrication

I gave him a mix cup and first tank was mixed 32:1 with yamalube, I noticed the wear seemed excessive 

Edited by knelson

I gave him a mix cup and first tank was mixed 32:1 with yamalube, I noticed the wear seemed excessive

Yeah it looks like it has a ton of hours on it.

Nikasil is really hard shit. To wear it the way it is, that took a lot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I probably should just tell him It was lack of lubrication and there is no warranties (It IS posted on builders website) and be done with it. If I convince him it's scrap, he'd probably sell it to recoup some money. I just don't wan't this to happen again, although I've never used this builder, I don't doubt his skills and after talking with him on the phone about jetting it was clear he is a Banshee addict like the rest of us. I guess I should see if builder will give break on new kit, otherwise I'm telling Him to go with FAST (he said he was going to get on ebay and order a cub kit tonight)