Banshee barn find help with 2 known issues

Everything is perfect,couple short rides yesterday, heat cycle purposes, 10 miles on back roads today, and 30 easy minutes on practice track today, cleared 60ft double 3rd gear, suspension and axle and arms and I'll see if it'll clear the 120 ft table and triple, then we'll see what breaks it or me. Your awesome John thank you very much

Once I break it in and complete setting it up I sure will. I'm really happy with the way it worked out, my little guy is 9, he was really upset when I got sick, but he didn't say a word when we got rid of the quads we had because during the 3 year process of them figuring me out, we basically lost our ass. He goes to the doctors with me, understands what is going on and he does real well with it. He saw me take an unexpected bus ride late to the hospital a little over a month ago, but he held it together. But I will tell you, when I found a spotless Polaris predator 90 for him, it's as clean as the Banshee, he cried, and he was smiling and tearing up yesterday when we were out. I'm 43, and this is my last build, and maybe ride, but yesterday was by far one of the best days I've had in YEARS easy. And I really didn't feel the best, good thing John has that thing spot on,it starts first kick, I didn't even choke it. We'll have a good time for sure, it's something he loves to do. He's been on a crf450 or a quad with me since he was a little over 2, and on his own since 4, so this is seriously positive all the way around for sure.

• Like 1

Final note on my end. Basically this got a complete rebuild. New crank, bore and pistons (left cyl was to rusted for just a hone ) All new seals.

He brought over some parts to install, chain and sprockets, pro-flo filter/adapter, case saver. Worked out well as the bottom end was together waiting on cylinders. Only road block was the water pump. Manual recommends replacing bearing when replacing seal. Bearing felt "notchy" when inspecting it, and took a couple extra days to get one.

I regret not having been able to do anything more with it. My back blew out Fri morning after I did second heat cycle and was waiting for it to cool to retorque the head. You know, final test and tune. Hell, wasn't even 100% on clutch adjustment, only took it once down the driveway. IMO thought it had a bog down low, but he also geared up because he was changing tires. Glad the default settings for the carb work !!

So basically any break in procedure is all on him.

Another shout out to Lakes Motorsports in Waterford, 4 days after dropping cylinders off and picking up crank, gaskets, and a few other things, the cylinders were here via Brown !!

Almost forgot about the spark issue.

Soon as I had the engine in the frame I kicked it over, had spark. Few more kicks, nothing !! WTF?? Had already deleted TORS brain and parking brake sensor, installed new plug caps (OEM).

Disco'd kill switch and jumped key, good spark !!

Key switch was faulty . I cut the harness to the switch and spliced the wires with a heat shrink butt connector and used liquid electrical tape in addition.

Edited by Larry's Shee

Done, installed the Elka stage 4 long travel shocks and a arms today, added the durablue axle and Elka long travel rear shock, round carrier swingarm is the shit for chain adjustment for sure, as far as handling, thanks to MCR suspension over the years for a spot on job, made short runs today, took the same double, and could have sat down easy, it's right, still doesn't handle like my lagers protrax 250r, but considering that's a swear word on here, and I'm running a stock chassis, and Johns motor work,Lakes machine work, zero complaints, one summer and it's for sale, possibility auction to benefit my 2 younger ones, if I can ride next year, it'll have electric start, and reverse, but no auto trans without a clutch, if I have to go that way with racks, bury me. Thanks guys

• 3 weeks later...

Got about 8 gallons of fuel through the quad, starts perfect, no leaks, heat issues or anything else. Idle is a tad low, but I believe needs some small adjustments, it doesn't want to clean itself up when I ride through the local trails, and not until I'm on it pretty good, even then, it's not making the power I know it should until into 5th gear and all the way through 6th. John mentioned a low end bog, it's sort of like that, but more of a what I believe to be a hesitation. I'm thinking it needs air screw adjustments, plugs are a tad dark, I'm running Maxima super M at a 32:1 ratio. Any suggestions on throwing a screwdriver on the air screws would be greatly appreciated, it's not off much, just a tad, haven't changed the plugs yet either, they look fine, and those are NGK B8's.

Thanks

Turn them 1/8 turn one way or the other, doesn't matter. If it's better you can tweak it from there. If not, return to starting point and go 1/8 the other way.

Straight slot/knurled screws on top raise/lower slide for idle speed.

Wish I would have written down the jet sizes when I had carbs apart. IIRC pilots were stock 25, mains were 240 I believe. Which I thought was weird because stock is 200 I think. Don't know if that was because of the reeds ( VF 1 or 2)

I was going to wait and see what others may say, but thought you might want input ASAP, lol.

I'm going north after noon, sometime, so call me if you want.

Will post more later.

I'm gonna try out slightly on air screws, seems like that's the symptom, haven't been feeling the best, but in the next few days I'll try that, seems to be starved for flow slightly, it's only off slightly, not a big issue, I'm also going to change plugs, gap them in case they are the issue.