Filtration

juldan1

which is best  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sucking sand don't have shit to do w/ the air box, you'll NEED to get a pro-design or noss(cheaper$ and same quality) intake adapter which allows the use of a clamp on filter. After that you can run w/out a box(most HP), vented, full whatever. Don't touch the box until you get that adapter w/a K&N or Foam filter.

Mike

I did a poll on this in the old forums to see what everyone was running, and what their thoughts were on it. i came to the conclusion that the Toomey was the best al around. And in sand, clamp on's seemed to be the way to go. There isn't a do all setup, except for a box with the lid on. That will protect you from most of the crap out there. But then, you limit your power because you can't get enough air....

There isn't a do all setup, except for a box with the lid on. That will protect you from most of the crap out there. But then, you limit your power because you can't get enough air....

I bought the pro flo foam filter kit that has a dual stage filter. I oil the inner yellow one and throw the red outer one over that and have never had anything penetrate through to the inside.

I'd consider it a do all setup, I cut the bottom part of the thing on the bottom of the airbox that keeps mud and stuff out off, so it'll drain water out. They make a one way valve type setup that'll flow water out of it as fast as it goes in, but havent gotten it yet.

I've gone through mudholes that i've had to gone over the airbox and come back out of it without even sucking water (maybe a tiny bit, it studdered the one time I was in it deep), but it cleaned right out after a little warble. I ride in coal dust which is probably the finest dust you'll ever ride in, and its never gotten through to the intake. I'm seriously impressed by it, the filter just keeps coming back for more and whatever I can throw at it, it just takes it in stride. I do know its limits and dont take it into rivers where I know that the filter would be under water for any length of time. But besides that......its gone through it.

It might not flow as good as a clamp on K&N setup, but its not meant for that. It all depends on your riding situation. If you ride sand, go with that, or something of the like. If you ride sand/dirt/non-muddy/non really dusty situations, The K&N with the airbox might be a good choice. If you ride really dusty, muddy, watery, conditions go with the pro flo foam setup.

My buddy has a 400ex and he runs the K&N with a skin in the coal dust. I've pulled off his airfilter and run my finger and its got coal dust in the intake tract.....I finally talked him into a foam. It would be even nicer if they made a skin for the pro flo foam setup.