What's your opinion?

Clymage

I've always ran the honda shit in my 2 stroke bikes with good results. In the banshee I always ran Rotella t 15-40 because I always had a diesel and it was available. The Rotella works great imo and it's just as cheap as atf. That's just my .02, you will get lots of recommendations on this subject though...I've never ran royal purple gear oil but all of their other products are great but pricey.

• Like 1

ATF is out

Amsoil Supershift is ATF, but one of the best fluids I've ran. But, needs to be changed like ALL OILS. You won't find something that is acceptable to leave in there all year because you're lazy. You can find some better stuff from Bel-Ray, Motul, Maxima, etc., but they should also be changed every so often.

The reality is, if your not drag racing or any kind of racing to put big demands and abuse on the clutch. You can run any oil really and it will last a long time. Belray, klotz will last 5 trips to the dunes for me easy. But thats in 350s that we cruise around 90% of the time.

Its all in the riding style.

My drag bike I change every trip or every other ar worst because I beat on the clutch and the oil is trashed quickly

Most riders change their oil waaayyy to often.
The reason the manual says to change it annually is because we don't have an odometer.... so they recommend yearly to be safe from litigation.

My RZ350 Yamaha manual stated transmission oil changes every 16,000 miles.

Yes, Sixteen Thousand Miles.

Is sand and drag racing harder on an engine than a bike on the street?  Sure.  Without combustion gas and blowby to pollute the oil tho, the shit lasts a looonng time!!  If you wanted to replace it 10x times earlier than you should, every other year would be too frequent.

Since I ride about 1000 miles per year, I guess once a decade should about do it!!  lol.
I actually change it every other year.  My next change is due in 2017.

• Like 1