new engine time!

justsmith94

Ive run my current set up all year. It has tons of hours on it and my engine is ready for a build. My current set up is the following:

Hot rods welded 4mil long rod crank

Hjr 4mil dune port cylinders

21cc domes

Timing at +4

Vforce 4 reeds

Pwk28 carbs

Open airbox with pro flow filter

Stock clutch basket

Barnett clutch with HD springs

billit water pump

Pro circuit pipes

I loved the way this engine ran, but im hoping to be able to go with a serval. My biggest stress, is that it has to be reliable. I ride nearly everyday after work and go on trips on the weekends that i would hate to have this thing be broken at.

Its a trail bike, so im looking to beef up my clutch. Going with a serval, im looking at a lockup. But i honestly have no idea how they work or what all needs to be done.

Im looking for advice on what should help me out with a stong, reliable setup.

Also, when going with a serval, is it easy enough to buy the kit and install yourself? Or would it be best to send it to a builder?

Thanks!

You didn't say you were looking for more power. If you're not hunting for power then there is no need for a serval. Stock cyls can be runners.

I understand your reasoning.

It does run extremely well for the riding that i do.

My reasons why i wanted a serval was for the low end power, having the ability to make more power (if i wanted more) with porting.

Any clutch, trans, pipe changes that should be made if i decided to stay stock cylinder? Vs going serval?

Good suspension will be the best thing you can do for a trail bike. That should be number one. A as cast serval with a safe tune will last a long time. Different pipes will make power in different parts of the curve. Talk to a good builder

I have +2+1 a arms, stock length round style swingarm, durablue axle and elka stage 3 shocks all the way around!

I've heard a lot of people had bad luck with Barnett clutches.

I had a Barnett in my pulling tractor (has a 1991 Yamaha fzr 1000 engine) and we found out the hard way that a Barnett does not like to be slipped. They are an on or off clutch. No in between. We ended up shearing the basket off the drive gear. Went to falicon for a new basket, and went oem Yamaha clutch. It's much smoother, less grubby and is holding up great

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk