No BS Banshee build ideas....

Robboy

Just recently acquired my brother's stolen 2006 Banshee SE which was never fueled when taken but returned to him...6 years later...basically destroyed with a concoction of parts on it. Anyhow, it's now my project Bansh. I'm looking for more power(typical) & am contemplating an engine kit from HJR utilizing the stock cylinders as opposed to going all-out on a motor which no doubt wouldn't be very trail-able for the type of riding I do, anyhow I like the sleeper look too:) I could use some pointers in the right direction as far as pipes, carbs, heads & such on a real-world semi-budget build that'll get results over & above the typical bolt-on mods. 4 mil a good plan?...not sure but I'm figuring on about $3-$3500 all toll in it including the $800 I gave him for it so if anyone knows a solid combo of parts in that price range then I'm all "ears". Thanks!

run alba arms save a bunch..  buy used from here from other part outs and ta da.  or as stated  take the 3500 IF you have it all in cash and buy a built bike..  IF your budget is a pay as you play style then i'd say.

list what all is on the bike now, like pipes carbs etc etc.  is it the yellow SE and are the front fenders intact?  

then decided what to reuse and what to replace..

alba arms tusk axle works front shocks you should be able to do that in the 800 bucko range.. 

ported and bored cylinders 300-400   ( 750? would get you a driveline top end kit so keep that in mind also.)

pistons 200

billet anodize basket 160

HD clutch 80 driveline

reeds v4 or boyesen 100-200

modded stock trans 250

gaskets and OEM seals. 50ish

cool head or driveline sleeper head 150-200

crankshaft issues? 50-450 depending on how bad it is.  if its toast replace with stock stroke ( 350) or 4 mill (450) both with upgraded bearings

that would get you a great starter motor.  and depending on pipes or what it may have on it now maybe even better.

if your not comfortable dissasembly and reasemble the motor id say add about 500 to it if its out of the frame.

this is what i would charge. and anyone else i would think would be close to that in price. 

BUT  i would deffinatley look over the frame for bends, breaks, major damage bearings and seals that may need replaced.  bent stem bent bars etc etc.  

Wow, seems like there's almost nothing not available for the Banshee. I'm shooting for pump gas, reliability, and some more oomph & I like a lot of the ideas I see already on here. Not too worried about up-grading the chassis now as the motor is the "heart" of it all anyhow IMO. This machine does need mega-parts as pretty much all bearings, bushings, etc. were spent on it but that's not a problem for me getting those taken care of. I want it to look similar to what it looked like B4 it got stolen with just a little more "flash" in the chrome dept. It definitely will never be brand-new again but at least I still have my original to gawk at if I need to see a new one. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions, I will surely look into all of them; no rush on this thing....just a beer-drinking project for the weekends I guess!

I just crashed again over the weekend due to stock junk suspension. I've crashed to much now on stock suspended banshee's. I agree with everyone else, don't run the stock a-arms, shocks & swing aarm & axle. Spend your $3,500 budget on upgrading your suspension & handling. You wont regret it

A stock banshee chassis is junk.   You need a arms, shocks, stem and bars just for starters.   That right there is about your budget.   Then take those stock cylinders and let someone reputable to port them for you, buy some VF4 reeds, either mill the head or buy a head that allows dome changes.   Find some decent carbs and for pipes that depends on porting.   You won't need to go all out on the motor at first, but later on you will.  

As stated, get the chassis "right" then worry about the motor.  

Edited by RollinRhino

Do all normal bolt-ons.

Pods w/outerwears

Reeds

Head rechambering

Pipes

+4* Timing advance

Controls:

Steering Stem

Fat Bars

ODI Rouge Grips

Suspension:

No need for long travel front suspension.

It adds $600-$1000 to your front suspension upgrade depending on shock choice.

+2+1 a-arms Anything is better than stock.

Elka stage 3 front/rear shock package

2012 YFZ450R rear hubs will add about 2" to the width.

I'm really starting to think about selling all my dunner parts & going full mx set up. It'd have to be alba a-arms though & probably elka shocks. Hmmmm

Here are some a arms that won't break the bank:   http://bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?/topic/183389-lonestar-arms-pro-design-cool-head-flyweel-clutch-airbox-more/

Lots of stuff you need in the FS section and there is also a feedback section to know who to trust.  

I would look at upgrading the suspension and making it wider. That will take a few thousand alone. Get shocks with low and high speed dampening. High speed are for those little irregularities on the trail. Not whoops but more like washboard. The old racetech/ TCS shocks were pretty good for the money back than. See if you can find the triple rates on Ebay and get them rebuilt.