Main bearings

When installing new main crank bearings where should They be seated? I made the assumption that they needed to be all the way against the crank. Well countless hours reading and messing around my engines assembled and sealed up. After torqueing bolts and nuts in sequence the transmission spins freely, but my crank is just plain screwed... Spins hard and binds. The crank appears to be off center also. Its really close to the case on the stator side and a lil gap on the clutch side. Clutch side bearing is a TZ bearing and stator side is a clipped max load with clip removed. Stator side of my case isnt machined for a clip. Both bearings are installed against the crank. The tz bearing inner race oriented so the bearing can come off the crank leaving the inner race against the web. Is the tz bearing installed correctly?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clutch side seal has the lil nubs in toward the bearing and stator side has all the writing and info out.. They both seated perfectly in the cases... Its wierd. looks to me as though the tz bearing needs to go on more to pull the crankshaft to center. The tz bearing is bottomed against the crank though so its impossible. Wondering if the inner race has to be on the outside locking the bearing to the crank so to speak. How are them things supposed to be installed? I just googled an image and refrenced from that... :0

There isnt any green on my seal, seals bearimgs and gaskets came in a lower end kit from AZquadparts..... Before i replaced those bearing the crank sat center and was smooth as butter. I Only did the lower rebuild because the machine sat since 2005. Top end also needed to be refreshed so figured id do the mains too.

I did install the bearings. Heated them to 250 in the oven while the crank sat in the freezer. Suckers dropped right on. Crank appears to be pinned and welded and it fit center before i changed the bearings. Im willing to bet your right about the tz being backwards, i couldnt find any info as to thier orientation so i looked at pics on google... I know the bearing itself is right because its got the full clip and thats

Came in the kit, i know with my stock gears some will say the side loads gunna wreck it. Some say its fine. The kit came with 4 of the same clipped "maxload" bearings also. I imagine 2 for the center 1 for stator side and 1 for transmission... Would i be better off yanking the TZ and swapping to another maxload?