Cooling issue

Ok so the weirdest thing happened. So a few weeks ago I changed my impeller and installed a pancake bearing on my bike. Well it was one of those monkey see monkey do kinda deals.

My buddy that has a banshee decided he wanted to do the same to his quad since he seen mine went in and performed well after the simple mods. Well yesterday we installed his pancake and impeller. After about ten minutes his bike started to gurgle and leak coolant out of the res tank..

We let the bike cool down and res tank was a bit low from coolant leaking out but not empty!! So I removed the impeller cover and kicked the bike over to see if maybe the gear was damaged during install and nothin, all worked well I think the impeller turned counter clockwise. Put back together and topped off and ran again and same thing!!

Took cap off rad and it seemed to me like coolant was moving around but not 100% on how to verify it. I have no idea what the hell is going on, bike ran fine when factory impeller was installed but now that billet is on it spits fluid out and doesn't wanna start right away!! What went wrong??

Thanks like always fellas, slowly but surely I will stop asking questions and start helping answer issues with all the crap goin on!

There was a post the other day kinda like this issue, but alot of ppl delete that res tank in the back since its an over flow. But when you opened up the cap was the rad full, did it get warm? Might have just moved and air bubble since you drained it....but might have filled up the res too much and it needed to go somewhere

Yeah I read through that issue about the other day and didn't seem to help me out.. I just found it absolutely weird that it happened just from simply changing the impeller. I'm hoping the added pressure from the impeller if it does actually pressurize the system more didn't blow the head gasket!!

This damn quad is driving me crazy it's had its share of issues and I thought I had it right. Idk man I really don't, ordered some new gaskets I'm gonna remove the cylinders and take a peek at the crank and what not cause I'm lost now!

I did take the rad cap off and yeah it definitely got warm!! Coolant level was still where it was when it was filled so idk..

Edited by 2STROKIN_IT

That's how I feel Gravel I can't make sense of it at all!! I'm sure me posting this after someone had a similar issue a few days ago is what's makin u throw ur hands in the air!! But damn how can a damn impeller be so destructive I just don't get it. Trust me I read a lot before posting this!!

Anytime I drain my coolant for one reason or another then refill to water neck on radiator, it always pukes some the first time you I get in it hard. After that, no more loss. Three or four friends bikes did the same thing

• Like 1

But why would the bike have a hard time starting now? Like I have to spray some premix in the carbs to actually have it turn over than eventually it bogs down and dies if I'm not holding the throttle a little..

Mind me I only changed the impeller and installed the pancake bearing!!

It has a stock head and no it wasn't tipped over at all we just drained the trans fluid and jacked the bike up with a little lift but everything was on a level surface..

I mean my bike got the same sheeit done and nothin went wrong and his banshee is a few years newer than mine which is pretty irrelevant but what gives! We installed v force reeds and synced carbs and jetted properly for everything.. We went out for a ride last week and all was good, bike ran strong the whole day! Than impeller gets changed and the bike starts to act up!!

Anyway thanks for the input all and thanks for being patient with me!

It has a stock head and no it wasn't tipped over at all we just drained the trans fluid and jacked the bike up with a little lift but everything was on a level surface..

I mean my bike got the same sheeit done and nothin went wrong and his banshee is a few years newer than mine which is pretty irrelevant but what gives! We installed v force reeds and synced carbs and jetted properly for everything.. We went out for a ride last week and all was good, bike ran strong the whole day! Than impeller gets changed and the bike starts to act up!!

Anyway thanks for the input all and thanks for being patient with me!

Did you do a leakdown after installing reeds?

Never a waste of money for a billet impeller IMO

New stock yamaha > billet. they are plastic for a reason.

IF you got the engine hot enough to score the cylinders, low compression would make it hard to start.

New stock yamaha > billet. they are plastic for a reason.

IF you got the engine hot enough to score the cylinders, low compression would make it hard to start.

Yeah cuz they started making them in the 80's thats why.... Thats like saying keep your stock plastic covers on a drag bike IMO but personal peace of mine if you ask me