Break-in Procedure

mcaf29

I got my motor together with my new stroker motor, and I want to hear the ways everyone is breaking their motors in. I've gone by the clymer manual break-in w/ very poor luck so I wanna get this one right. The clymer seems too short. It basically gives you a couple heat cycles then you're ripping on it. It also says to mix 24:1. I have 2-R for the break-in and plan to jet way rich for now then I'll worry about performance a couple hours down the road. Any recommendations.

I forgot who it was that was having this problem but the screens in the fuel tank were partially plugged with stuff and so the fuel wasn't getting to the carbs causing a lean condition. With all that money wrapped up in a new engine, I'd gut the entire fuel system and install clear filters in each line so there's no problems there.

The other thing is you may want to run a tank full of straight non synth oil for breakin so the rings wear in right. I think the 2R is a synth blend. No real experience in this area but it's something to think about.

Just broke mine in and passion recommended that honda 2R stuff or whatever its called. It's non synthetic and for oil injection/premix applications. I went through my 2 15 minute heat cycles, letting it cool down inbetween. Then took her around the yard for like 15 minutes in 1st gear never getting into the powerband at all and going about 1/4 throttle. Let it cool down and checked the torque on all the head and cylinder nuts. Took it out for another 15 minutes going half throttle and getting into the powerband a little, started shifting it through the gears, always varying the throttle, not staying at the same rpm for longer than 5 or so seconds. Took it back and let it cool down. Then I rode it for like 30 to 45 minutes up to 3/4 throttle. By this time the engines rings are seating pretty good.

Thats as far as I got with my break in. But next time I should be able to go full throttle. You'll feel where the engine doesnt want to go. If you want I'd adjust your pipes all the way in for top end. Your powerband will come on later when your first breaking it in and it'll rev out farther for when you get to rev it out all the way. Dont keep it at full throttle for any length of time for the first 5 gallons or so of gas and you should be good to go.

You also might want to have them adjusted for top end with that stroker motor. You'll have plenty of low end grunt now. With it being stock I found that all the way for topend then backed off 2 turns the powerband was coming on just right in the trails, being able to ride in that sweet spot right before powerband in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. I guess once you get it broken in you can adjust it to sit in that sweet spot.

On a side note, you still have that shortened swingarm?

lol @ that.....thats why I'm only running only about 4 gallons of the honda stuff through it then switching over to my regular oil.......wait....I run honda trans oil in it as well.....I'm just screwed any way you look at it......no wonder my shee is so slow.