TIMING PLATE ADJUSTMENT

So I installed a adjustable timing plate on my 99 banshee but don't know where I set it?? Like what do I have look at to set the degree on it?? I assumed that the center line where the top and cases meet as my guide to set the timing is this correct?

Thanks again amigos

Every motor is a little different. In my opinion +4 is good and safe "starting point". I have read, that only few motors didn´t like anything over +2 or +3.

I have basic bolt on´s with home made porting. I have custom cut domes, 9mm band, 20cc and 1.15mm squish. 155-160psi.
With our "93" pump gas, I have been up to +8.5 on timing without any issues. However I didn´t feel any "gains" after +7.5.

I felt a huge gain going from +5 to +7.  Mostly I have been around +7 with T5´s and A&S Drag pipes.

..oh - and this is from sea level up to ~500ft above.

Yeah judging by all the input I may just leave as is till I rebuild. Last owner said it hadn't had the top end rebuilt in about 4 years. I'm almost sure that's not true, I'm gonna use the equation that every man should use when they ask a girl how many guys they have slept with....

Answer x 2= The truth!!!!

Than I will mess with timing again, I'm gonna end up splitting the cases and giving it a once over than install 4 mil crank and all accommodations that go with it. Thanks again guys