Twist Throttle Good Idea? Or Bad?

limitied03

People are usually split 50/50 on this and each person swears that the other method is inferior. Personally, I hate thumbs. If I was buying an '04 banshee I'd talk the dealer into throwing in the twist throttle. But really it just comes down to personal taste. Twist throttles require the rider to have some extra coordination so if you're the type that slams your hand in car doors, stick with the thumb.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I race a twist MX and I love it. I got rid of my thumb and will never go back to it. I seem to have more control with a twist because you can't just hang on and get arm pump, The wrist is always moving. But I don't really get arm pump anymore so that isn't a problem, unless I haven't rode for a few weeks, like now cuz of rain.

yea but if your a true motocross racer that eats sleeps and breathes motocross I think the twist is gonna better suit you. Just because it allows you to get farther off the seat then a thumb and you can grip with your wrist under the bar if say your hanging your ass off the seat to the right trying to rail a right hand berm. I think its just easier but thats just me

With the twist grip if the bike wheels quick on you, your normal thing so to grab the bars, and it gives the bike more gas, its ruff to pushh that twist back if the bike unexpectedly wheels.

I had one on my 250r it didnt last long just my opinion, the thunb is the same way you race sleds, so I was use to it and how to flip your hand from top to bottom of the bars for left and right turns. On a hard left turn I would use my thumb, but on a hard right turn I roll my hand over the top were my forefingers catch the level.

Remember opinions are like assholes everyone has one and they all stink.

Its what you perfer, and what turns you on, or what floats your boat ;)

Team Riot

true but thats why i say get a thumb and ride for awhile, get used to the bike then switch to a twist and see if you like it. I never have my front end come up unexpectedlty cuz I know what the bikes gonna do before it does it. thats what I suggest. Get comfortable on the bike, learn its moves and how it reacts then try the twist and if you don't like throw the thumb back on it. I just know I'll never go back to a thumb. When I get my R finally built, Im running a twist from teh beginning.

I have twists on my two quads. and have no problom with throttle control. but I don't ride MX or anything but sand.

but I do have an 85 250R three wheeler. and I removed the twist and put the thumb throttle back on. the 3 wheeler requires lots of body english and the twist made it a quite a bit harder to control the trottle. even at the dunes. so I can understand a twist would cause unwanted power when the bike is thrashing around under the rider.

when they came out with the 3 wheelers I am sure they put a twist throttle on during testing but after a few riders had probloms controling the bike they invented the thumb throttle.

twist does require more body english. It requires you to be a better rider then the guy next to you on a 400ex with thumb. Me, I have no problem blasting whoops, hills tabletops, doubles triples, anything you throw at me on my shee with a twist cuz I know I can control it. I can't remember the last time it did something that I wasn't expecting, other then last week when I was sliding a flat turn and hit a rut and it almost rolled. But that had nothing to do with the twist. I honestly think a twist is easier cuz pulling 2 slides all day on a mx track with your thumb sucks. Maybe if it was a single carb system but not dual. Just my opinion though

Twist throttle for me. I find it hard to beleive you thumb throttle guys cant ride and work a twist throttle at the same time, I can switch to a thumb throttled quad and the thumb action doesnt even enter my mind, its natural. Hop back on my twist throttled quad and never think about twisting. I really think its strange that you guys have a hard time with a twist throttle :P

I love my twist throttle. I ride in all types of conditions and terrrain and have no problems. I guess it's like what everybody else is saying it's your own preference. I was just used to riding bikes all my life and am just better control wise with a twist. I just don't think thumb throttles are any fun because they didn't challenge you.