Leak confused with leak down

bambam7689

That's a different kind of leak down tester, it only really tests the top end, on four strokes it can help find burnt valves but on a two stroke it is only really a glorified compression tester and I suppose it could find a bad head gasket as well but it runs off of an air compressor and it only fills the cylinder with air not the entire engine.

The one that everyone talks about on here fills the whole engine with compressed air from a bike pump and there is a sticky at the top of the technical info section of the forum on how to build one and use it and here is a link to make life easier click this.

2cbeaf767585a9a991e57ec5107d2435.jpg

That's the tester I bought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks just like the Harbor Fright  one that I use. FYI it will also work for leakdown tester on 2smoke. Drawback is you have to remove tank.But  Be creative, using PVC caps for intake boots, drill hole slightly smaller than threads on adapter and force thread adapter into cap. Use 3Bond or permatex #2 on threads. Stock bumper end caps or rubber plumbing caps for exhaust. Nice part is double redundancy with regulator. Turn compressor reg down to 10#, back tester all way out and slowly adjust up. Nice part is if you have clip on tire chuck you can add air and spray soapwater at same time

First thing to check is your tester. No leaks in connections, PVC caps to boots, Rubber caps on ex, spark plugs. After that it's just gaskets, seals, intake boots. Flex boots to double check them.

Dish soap and water, 25/75 to 50/50.

Put trans vent end in glass/cup of water to test case seal and right crank seal. IF you get bubbles, pull clutch cover and test right seal. They can leak at the collar/keyway on crank end.

• Like 1