How To Sync Carbs?

Well I used the 2 knobs on the TORS to adjust the slides to be in the same position at idle, trouble is when I start to give it gas the left slide always pulls up before the right so when the left is fully open the right slide still has about 1-2mm to go...It's not horribly out of wack but I'd like to fix it this week before I go riding.

The knobs on the TORS do not work for this adjustment.???? (They lower and raise the carb at idle but I can't figure out how to get the left side to pull at the same time as the right side. I may be doing something wrong so let me know what)

thanks,

Hmmm..... The only thing I can think of is the routing of the cable after it "Y"s off. Maybe one has more slack in it than the other. I don't think the TORS has an adjustment screw (like on your clutch for example) to balance the 2 cables but I could be wrong. Check where the cable enters the TORS to see if there is a way to adjust that. If not, you are going to have to get creative to make both cables start pulling at the same time. Maybe shim up 1 cable at the TORS or at the "Y"???

Well I used the 2 knobs on the TORS to adjust the slides to be in the same position at idle, trouble is when I start to give it gas the left slide always pulls up before the right so when the left is fully open the right slide still has about 1-2mm to go...It's not horribly out of wack but I'd like to fix it this week before I go riding.

The knobs on the TORS do not work for this adjustment.???? (They lower and raise the carb at idle but I can't figure out how to get the left side to pull at the same time as the right side.  I may be doing something wrong so let me know what)

thanks,

Those 2 big knobs are not for syncing the carbs, those are for adjusting the idle.

To sync the carbs, you only use the left side carb.

There are 2 nuts that the cable runs through, the big one is for holding, the little one is the one you turn to adjust the slide height.

Clymers says never to adjust the right carb.

The knobs on the TORS do not work for this adjustment.???? (They lower and raise the carb at idle but I can't figure out how to get the left side to pull at the same time as the right side.  I may be doing something wrong so let me know what)

thanks,

Those 2 big knobs are not for syncing the carbs, those are for adjusting the idle.

To sync the carbs, you only use the left side carb.

There are 2 nuts that the cable runs through, the big one is for holding, the little one is the one you turn to adjust the slide height.

Clymers says never to adjust the right carb.

thanks, one qeustion then.

Is the window on the carb for adjusting the idle or to sync them up? They seem to be even for idle adjustments but the mark is not appearing in the left carb window as it is int he middle on the right. Im guessing maybe its because they are not in sync, Just curious what the mark in the window is for exactly so I can get this overwith as painlessly as possible :)

Both nipples on both slides have to hit both windows at the same time. You do this by adjusting the LEFT carb until the slide hits the window the same time as the right carb slide. Lincster was right, you adjust the slides by the two nuts on top of the carbs. The outer nut is a lock nut and the inner is the actual adjustment. The TORS thumb screws just adjust the slide height. I adjust the height by sight with the TORS screws and fine tune it with the aforementioned method with the sight windows. Its not really hard just a pain in the ass sometimes. B)

I"ve always used the idle knobs and never had a problem....they both do the same thing. Tighten and loosen the cable..I adjust the idle knobs until the slides bottom out, then turn them 1 full turn back up and the idle is usually pretty close...You can't measure the slides. Thats why I "bottom" them out , to get a base start, then turn up one full turn....You'll need a flashlight and look inside the intake through the air cleaner....

I"ve always used the idle knobs and never had a problem....they both do the same thing. Tighten and loosen the cable..I adjust the idle knobs until the slides bottom out, then turn them 1 full turn back up and the idle is usually pretty close...You can't measure the slides. Thats why I "bottom" them out , to get a base start, then turn up one full turn....You'll need a flashlight and look inside the intake through the air cleaner....

I found you can check the slide position by opening up the slides untill one of them disapears, my other slide still has 2mm to go.

WHen I release the throttle both slides are dead even, but when I start to give it throttle the left slide always picks up first...Even if I raise the right slide to give it a head start the left slide still gets raised jsut before the right. It won't idle witht he head start thing either I think the TORS kicks in because they are out of wack.

I'm going to play with the botls on the top of the left carb and see what I can do from there.

Or is it the right that needs to be adjusted because its the side with the delay?

Intox:

You "bottomed out" both sides and raised both sides 1 full turn right??? Make sure you have slack in the cable by your handlebars to. You might have too much tension on the cable and the slides aren't bottoming out...