rjayb

I still have an OEM axle on my duner.  It requires a constant wd-40 shellac to keep from rusting and I think it's time to upgrade.  Ive been looking at different options mainly LSR, Durablue, and JJ&A.  My question is how durable are the JJ&A play axles?  I see them all the time on the drag bikes and I know those guys love them for the weight savings.  I jump a lot and ride pretty aggressive and haven't heard much about them in this sort of application.  Anyone have any experience?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard the same thing about the warranty.  It doesn't help much when you're stuck out in the dunes or shut down for the weekend cause your axle is bent.  Don't see them on many bikes that get all fours off the ground.  Cost wise they are comparable to an LSR if you get the axle and all the billet hubs and hardware.

One big down fall is the hubs won't fit stock axle. You bend a lsr or durablue that take all stock hub you can probably find a replacement somewhere on Craigslist in Oregon and salvage a weekend. That being said I plan on getting a jj&a and abusing it. 10lbs difference from a lsr is a lot. And if there warranty are that good chances are they don't warrenty that many.

One big down fall is the hubs won't fit stock axle. You bend a lsr or durablue that take all stock hub you can probably find a replacement somewhere on Craigslist in Oregon and salvage a weekend. That being said I plan on getting a jj&a and abusing it. 10lbs difference from a lsr is a lot. And if there warranty are that good chances are they don't warrenty that many.

True, I would just probably take down my stocker and all the hardware as a spare.  The other issue is the safety concern of having an axle failure.  Can't find much other than drag and hillshooter reviews for these things on the web.

I have ran the play axles on my banshees with no issues at all.  I jump in the dunes but nothing too crazy.  I pound the whoops WFO when racing the hill too. I have never had any issues at all with the axle.  I recently bought a used play axle for my Honda and it had a slight bend in it.  I ran that way for one trip then sent it back to JJ&A.  He went over the whole assembly in one day and replaced everything that wasn't up to par.  Then shipped it back at no charge.  The man takes pride in his work.  I wish more businesses operated this way.

Have you ever seen what I do with my hillclimb bike? It has a JJ&A hill shooter axle on it.

Yeah, I've seen some of the hillclimb stuff you have on youtube.  I'm about 235 and routinely hit 40-60' jumps at the sand and on the track.  I've never seen a JJ&A axle on anything at the MX.  Even if they replace it no questions asked, I don't want to go down this road if it going to be an ongoing problem.  Was going to go with the full LSR pro setup but it's hard to look away from a 10-12 pound weight loss.

Hell yeah for honesty!!!

Why tho?

X2 on the hell yeah for honesty.  He said he would have no issue replacing them if I still decided to try it out.  I asked him if he personally would hit a 40' gapper with his play axle and he said No, I'd run a durablue or LSR if I was going to do that.