Chances Of Getting A 2wd Truck Stuck At Glamis

thebloker

I am headed out to Glamis for Thanksgiving and as luck would have it, my friend who was going to drive out there backed out. This left me in the position of having to rent a truck, but it was a 2wd full size Ram. Seeing as I have nere been in the sand without 4wd, or to Glamis for that matter, what do you think my chances are for getting stuck trying to find a camping spot. I know that people drive their 35 ft motorhomes out there, but seeing as I am not going to be arriving until the day after Thanksgiving, I am assuming that almost all of the good spots will be taken. Any suggestions on where to park this rental truck at for this late arrival?

p.s. I have no problem destroying this vehicle in order to insure I get to a good spot that has some hard pack. I'm sure that I could shoot a couple of cold ones your way once I get out there :D

I am headed out to Glamis for Thanksgiving and as luck would have it, my friend who was going to drive out there backed out.  This left me in the position of having to rent a truck, but it was a 2wd full size Ram.  Seeing as I have nere been in the sand without 4wd, or to Glamis for that matter, what do you think my chances are for getting stuck trying to find a camping spot.  I know that people drive their 35 ft motorhomes out there, but seeing as I am not going to be arriving until the day after Thanksgiving, I am assuming that almost all of the good spots will be taken.  Any suggestions on where to park this rental truck at for this late arrival?

p.s. I have no problem destroying this vehicle in order to insure I get to a good spot that has some hard pack.  I'm sure that I could shoot a couple of cold ones your way once I get out there :D

I have a 2wd truck.

All you need to do is airdown, I have never had a problem.

We go where the sand is very soft, and my buddy takes his 35 foot motor home.

All he does is airdown.

Plus there is tons of people out there, so if you get stuck, someone should help you.

I've never gotten stuck.

"KNOCK ON WOOD" :huh:

Thats what I thought as well. The only experience I have had with driving in soft sand was when I go down to Mexico. I used to have a Blazer that had no problem in the sand, but I know I pulled a bunch of 2wd trucks out that were stuck in the really soft stuff. Half the fun is watching people destroy their vehicles and becomming hopelesly stuck on the beach. People even drive their Civics down on the beach with no way to get out. I speak from experience when I say that you should not try to tow a Civic out of the sand by wrapping a tow rope around the bumper, not only does it rip the bumper off, it takes out the brake lines as well; plus it's damn funy to watch.

Anyway I'll look forward to seeing you guys, along with the other 199,990 people there as well. With that many people there I think it would be kind of pointless to even try to find someone, oh well I'm gonna have fun anyway!

hell at winchester bay we had a couple of CRX's camping with us...we decided to go drag race them at about midnite one night, didnt have a problem once we aired down...only real problem i faced was because i was in one w/ 17's and there isnt much to air down before you're hittin the rims on all the bumps!...

go have fun at glamis ya lucky bastards lol

Mike

I would head past gecko and take a right right after the store (before the train tracks) Head down as far as you need to on the dirt road, and then find a place. just cause Gecko road is going to be jam packed and the sand is really soft right off the road. The washes are still sandy but aren't as soft or sloped like off gecko road. Its a farther drive to the sand drags though, but your much closer to china wall, and a road to olds. Only problem is it might be a dust pit, but the whole palce probably will be for that matter.

Our group will be at wash 4 so if you need a spot let me know heading up early fri and leaving sun.. I have an 03 black and yellow shee and there will be about 10 to 12 other shees so pick a color and it will be represented.. stop by for a beer if youre in area.. Pm me if you want more info