One Cylinder Down!

normalario

Improper squish, too low of octane, (like bad/old fuel as suggested), too much advance on the timing, or a combination of things. But, a hole in the piston is almost a dead giveaway that some sort of detonation was going on. A clogged main jet, can add heat to the problem, and accelerate it's showing, but I don't think a clogged main would blow a hole on it's own. What was your squish set up at? Timing? What other mods are done to it?

Filled up with fresh 91 before I ran her. Engine was about 9 pounds off on the cylinder that went but I figured I could get on more weekend on it before a rebuild. Ran great at the hill but crapped out on the way back to camp. The head work was done by D&M. Mill, re chamber, & correct squish. Ran good for a season on the new head. How do I check my timing?

Thanks again!

What did D&M set the head mods for??? 90 octane?? 93octane??? 100 octane?? Too much compression and not enough octane and walla!!! That would be my first guess.....Your timing would be stock unless you put a timing key or adjustable timing plate in....

Can timing go out of adjustment??

Not unless you shear the key or the timing plate has been modded and it comes loose. Or a faulty CDI, but I have never heard of the latter causing improper timing, only a dead CDI... I am thinking that you had slightly lean jetting, and this heated up the situation, and made an improperly set up head design show it's ugly face...