Suggestions for carbs

ChrisDogg

Hi guys,

i'm looking to upgrade my stock carbs, i'm not too up on whats the latest and greatest in the carb world so forgive my ignorance.

I have an 02, bored/port on stock engnine, shearer pipes, k&n's. Any suggestions on sizes/brand? I mainly dune around in glamis/dumont, not a drag shee at all. just like to get out there and mess around in the bowls or hit comp hill.

i appreciate any advice you can offer.

thanks.

Why would you want to change carbs? With a stock stroke motor that is only bored carbs will not help you at all. 

VF4 will help, on your motor maybe a 1hp over stock reeds. They will increase throttle response.

Cool head with good domes will bump up compression meaning more low end power.

Timing plate set at advanced timing means earlier spark which can mean more power.

Is your current engine ported or not?

Those 3 mods on a stock engine that is piped would see more low end power and help smooth out the hit of the shearer.

That helps tremendously, yes it is ported. So without upgrading to a bigger/better engine, those mod's are prob gonna be the best bang for my buck right?

These mods are about the only thing you can do.

Do you have stock reeds right now? Do you have a stock head that hasn't been modded?

You could be looking at maybe 10hp with VF4, cool head with custom cut domes for your porting, pipes, and fuel, and some timing.

Yes stock reeds as well as head. If i get a cool head do i also need to replace the domes as well?

Any interest in doing internal engine work?

Otherwise I agree with the above.

I would but money is tight right now and I've already put a good penny into it already. When i bought it, it was bone stock with shitty FMF pipes, rust, bald knobbies. looks nice but now i need to work on power.

Ya, then:

-Cool head or mill and Rechamber your stocker

-VF4's

-timing plate

Shift mods:

-mod the shift shaft

-mod the shift star

-detent arm with bearing

-pancake bearing

I'm still learning so again, forgive my ignorance but what do you mean by rechamber my stocker? And again, unless I'm going to go bigger on the engine/pistons, just stay with the stock carbs right?

I was referring to machining the stock head. Might be a cheaper route then a cool head and domes, since you mentioned you're not ready to dump to much yet.

Those stock carbs are good to 70+ hp. Going much bigger on carbs would kill the bottom end on your bike. But if you decide to port the cylinders, carbs would be totally worth it.

Edited by trickedcarbine