The Truth About Chains

Amstaff

is there realy a differance in standard and o ring chains? i mean i know ones sealed and lubed but if ya lube the standard dont they perform about the same?

standard price about 30 bucks

o rings about 60

can some one help me out is ther a differance in durability and performance?

or is it a scam for the manufacturers?

There really is a difference in longevity. For the occasional trail rider, you won't notice the benefits of the o-ring. If you ride your shee hard and for a good deal of time, you should run a chain such as a Sidewinder. One advantage of an o-ringed chain is the o-ring removes direct shear force off the pins. This allows for a chain with higher tensile strength (~11000 psi for sidewinder, ~5000 psi standard chain). Stronger chain, less chance of breakage, damage to the case, and possibly you. Key idea: You get what you pay for.

I don't run a o-ring chain in the sand.  Since you can't lube a chain enough while sandriding the rubber to metal contact will rob power.  I usually buy a decent set of non-oring each year for sand riding..  I use the O-ring (which lasts about every two years) for woods riding!

why can't you lube it enough?

I just threw an X-ring chain on for Sand Riding. My stock chain lasted me 4.5 years before I replaced it just now.

If you lube the chain with an oil based product the sand will tear up the orings in a hurry!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can use stuff called Drylube (silicone based), but that stuff was made for implants, not chain lube..... :lol:

I tried the drylube for a number of years and each time after sand riding I noticed my orings to get even more tore up. Eventually some of them just tore from the chain.

Plus the rubber to metal contact will rob a ton of power, non of us want that!

If you lube the chain with an oil based product the sand will tear up the orings in a hurry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You can use stuff called Drylube (silicone based), but that stuff was made for implants, not chain lube..... :lol:

I tried the drylube for a number of years and each time after sand riding I noticed my orings to get even more tore up.  Eventually some of them just tore from the chain.

Plus the rubber to metal contact will rob a ton of power, non of us want that!

I have been using chain wax instead of oil. How much power can those little rings possibly take away?