General Banhee Mx Setup Question

trackn

I feel at home here..

I am interested in starting to MX race and I want to do it on a banshee. Everyone I talk to says that a banshee sucks for MX racing and to go get a 240R or 400ex, raptor, etc. I know that the cost to setup a banshee for MX racing are more than other bike cause they sit higher, but I need some assistnace.

How are you guys doing against other atvs on the mx circuit? What are some downfalls of the banshee makeing people say that it sucks on an mX track and how should I overcome them? Why do I keep getting told to put 18" tires on the back instaed of keeping my 20"s?

My first order of business is to put 2" extended a-arms + 1or2 forward, works dual or triple rate shocks (front & Rear).. from team alba or lonstar racing. What is the best setup for mx? Is there a better supplier? I am leaving the rear swingarm alone for the moment.

Why go 2-1 carb setup? Is it a must?

V-Force, Boyesen Rad Vale or somting else?

Intermideate soil terrain track.. I would like to run razors, some say go with holeshots.. Your opinion?

PIPES? I use Toomey for running around sand pits but what it good for MX?

I have allot to learn but I am ready. THanks

When I raced with mine it was completely stock. I was going against 250r's, predators, raptors, 400ex's, and blasters. These were all hopped up to no end. I got 3rd the first moto and 4th the second. What makes a banshee easier to ride for mx is +2+1 or +2+2 arms, new shocks, a shortened swingarm, wider axle, and a good set of low end pipes. 18" tires in the rear have better acceleration with the sacrafice of speed which you don't need on an mx track. Change your front shocks definately, you can get your rear shock revalved for a lot cheaper than it would be to buy a whole new shock. Plus, the banshee rear shock is awesome if it is setup to your specs. I went with Elka shocks up front and rear revalved from Elka, through Janssen Motorsports. 2-1 carb setup is not a must. It supposedly gains low end, I don't exactly know cause I've never had it or ridden one with it. Most likely it just makes it easier to adjust settings cause you only have one carb to deal with instead of two. As for pipes, I use FMF Fatty's with Powercore II silencers. They have the most low end. Toomy's are more of a long straight kinda pipe. I run 18x9.5x8 Turf Tamers on Champion beadlocks and 21x7x10 holeshots on the front. Works excellent for semi-loose/semi-packed dirt.

My advice for ya is get some a arms +2+2, +2+1, depends on what you want. What ever length you add to the front subtract that out of the swingarm. You don't need to go shorter than -2 for mx, anything shorter will cause you to loop out. Shee's are fine for mx I've been racing the nationals since 98 on a banshee. I just sold it so now I'm building an outlaw lsr shee. I've ridden plenty of R's but they just don't make the hp a shee does. I might get beat coming out of a corner by a couple of bikes but I will make the distant up. Banshee's are fast on a track when you get the power to the ground. Jumping bike just comes with lots of pratice. Any time you go race, try to follow the fast guy around the track and keep his speed. Your pipes are fine, lose the tors if you still have them, shocks it's up to your bank roll, 2 into 1 setup I don't like........make sure ya run a taller tire in the front!

hey tats, what classes do you run in? What classes are their that you can run banshees in. I'm assuming all the open classes. I just wish they'd allow bigger cc 2strokes into the pro production, and pro classes on the gncc circuit. It'd be nice to see some aftermarket framed shee's in the pro class and stock framed shees in the pro production. It'd never happen though because they know nothing could compete.

yea, ive raced mx on my shee for a year, 4 strokes have alot of low end, which is what you need on a track, i run he 2-1 carb settup, works good, and sometime in the future i would look into a cool head as they lay down low end power and power thoughout thew hole band, for for pipes, i run a dynoprt 2-1 which is the best for low end that i know of right now

i raced open pro-am. next year i'm not sure what class(es) i goin to run. You can run in pro, a, b, c, pro-am, and your age groups, 13-16, 17-21, 22-25, 25-30, 30-40, vet which is 40+. the guy that got me hooked up with duncan is goin to run vet and probably pro-am on his yfz450. loren's got his cylinder now. Theres alot of shee's in c class. most of those guys dnf, they try to go to fast.

hey man im 15 years old and i plan on racing in the spring but ive been riding track since july and have gotten pretty good. i decided to go with +3+1 arms with works triples up front, and a durablue 2+2 axle that i always run at +4. if u are goin to stay with stock rear suspension get an amp link those things work wonders!! they give your rear shock a whole new feel. What makes people say that banshees suck for mx is the fact that there taller and longer than most quads and the fact that they lack bottom end :blink: . ppl say the 2 in 1 carb set up gives major bottom end but ive been runnin stock carbs with spacers and reeds and there fine. dont go with the +3+1 unless u plan on ridin strictly track. banshees dont need alot of engine work because there fast already just get some bottom end pipes. im runnin the fatty with power core 2. remember man its all in the rider, it helps to have a bike that handles good and has good power but it stops when the riders potential stops!! :D