Amount Of Oil On Air Filter Is It Needed W/outwear

teamriot

I really hate to ask this but, will the amount of oil on an air filter result in the bike running fatter or leaner? I have a toomey 2-1 with outerwear and a pro design on the other bike both with outerware.

When I pull the oiled filter using filter oil off the bike appears to run slower possible much leaner?

With the outerwear do you really need to oil the filter?

When the oil gets on the outerwear it appears to close up the breathing of the outerwear.

Yes you need the oil.

what type do you have.

I run K&N's with dark pink in color. It's not that much. just enough to darken the cotton.

Foam Squeeze all you can out with your Hands. Oh i never use the spray type. Hard to control the amount. and the rest is in the air.

PJ1 spray type, I spray it on pretty heavy install the outwear and go. After cleaning good of course with filter cleaner and rinsing it with water then dry for a little while.

The toomey has a expanded steel type cage built in so I can't really squeeze it, but on the pro-flow I can.

So do you reaaly need it with the outwears also????????????

Riot Racing

Yes absolutly put oil on that foam filter. I have the Toomey filter too, and what i do is clean the filter first with kerosene, pour the kero inside the filter through the cage, get a little bucket full of kero to dip the filter in, once you have the filter clean, blow it out with compressed air. Clean your outerwear the same way, with kerosene. I like to use a hair-blow dryer thngy to dry off my Outerwear, I usually clean my Outerwear after every 2 or 3 rides. Spray your oil on in vertical lines, spining the filter on your hard, get the spray lines close to each other but they dont have to overlap. After you spray all the way around the filter, get a clean shop rag and rub in the oil, spreading it around to cover any dry foam. Re-shoot it with a little more oil if its needed to cover all the foam. Now get a another clean shop rag and lightly dab the foam to get any extra oil off, you dont need much oil on the surface of the foam as long as you have rubbed the oil deep into the foam. Now throw on your perfectly cleaned Outerwear on being carful not to smoosh it up against the foam. Start it up and sit there warming it up for 2 minutes longer than you normally do. This will help "dry" out the oily filter somewhat. Now go have fun and you should be good to go for atleast 6 to 8 hours riding time on the foam filter and you should clean the outerwear every 2 to 4 hours you ride. Gas also works great on the Outerwear and it NO it doesnt damage the Outerwear. I dont use gas on the foam filter tho. Kerosene on the foam. Hope that made some sense......... You'll get your own little filter cleaning ritual, just experiment around with what I just wrote.

I have the 2:1 filter but I use the pour bottle. I wash the filter with engine cleaner in a spray can, hose it off from the inside. let it dry totally and then I pour some oil in a tupperware that's big enough to hold the filter. I roll it around to all surfaces are covered and then set it at an angle so the excess can drip off. I come back 1/2 hour later and install. With the outerwear.