Would you recommend it?

Getting the itch to mod. I have a lightly modded shee I picked up last year. Its got FMF fattys, VF3 reeds, trail ported, +4 timing, 30mm carbs, cool heads, stock bore/stroke hot rod crank. Looking to do something small, like domes.  Anyone suggestion dropping to say 21cc domes. Where will I notice gains with the higher compression? I ride trails mostly, but do have lots of open land as well. Yay or nay is it worth the effort? pros and cons?

Higher compression with the new domes requires a higher octane level. You should see a little bit of a performance increase with the correct domes that require 110 race gas for fuel vs pump. Remember that race gas does cost more then pump gas. The performance won't be like if you stroked the motor and got it ported from a bone stock one but you'll notice a difference. Hit up redline racing for some domes

You know how sale listings go....

50% Chance that he was TOLD it was ported, but is just stock.

Till it is VISUALLY established that it has porting....I'll wonder since he's only had it a year.

My guess is that it has stock or near stock size domes. Compression test was 125-130psi at +1,300 ft elevation. But what's weird is the guy I bought it from said all he ran in it was Turbo Blue, but that could be him blowing some smoke up my...  he's a quad mechanic at a performance/repair shop and said raced this thing in GNCC for a short period of time and said it's "trail" ported to give it more down low and not as much hit up top. Which that IS how it runs, its got pretty good low end compared to other banshee's I've rode and when you get on the pipe it isn't such a drastic hit of power. He gave me the impression that he ported it himself, so who knows really what the hell its got going on in there as far as "porting". I've been running a blend of 93 and Turbo blue and 32:1 (fuel blend: I fill a 5 gallon jug with 3 gallons of 93 and 2 gallons of turbo blue) . I'd get pods, but I forgot to add that its got a Pro Design filter and I run it with the airbox lid off. 
I appreciate all the replys, I'm looking to do another small upgrade/ weekend-project type of thing, that isn't too expensive. Another quick question, I just did the +4 timing advance over the winter and I'm now living +2,500 ft elevation. I was running slightly rich, will I need to re-jet ? I'm going to have to at least clean these junky Okos, its taking 10-20 kicks to start now, but runs fine once it starts. No clue what size jets its got in it now.

• Like 1

Stop using turbo blue, huge waste of money.

Yea, I figured I didnt really need it once i did the compression test. My guess is that my domes are 23cc now. Seems like the cool heads are just pretty pieces right now since the mods i have dont really warrant the NEED for them.

Edited by 00_Shee

I'd pull the thing apart and see what you already have for sure before you go ordering shit you may not need in the first place.

lol you're right, but i may just wait until i need to do the top-end or something before I open her up. Its running pretty good. My luck i'll screw something up. I'm living in a new city and only have a weekend or 2 a month to ride or work on it. I'm even reluctant to remove the damn carbs, they're junk ass Okos and i can't find a rebuild kit other than from Tiawan on ebay. One carb is leaking VERY slightly through the gaskets where the bowel meets the body. After i ride and let it sit, it will have a little bit of oily-gas residue at the seam and if it sits for days the carb will be oily down on the side of the bowel.

125-130 PSI?…..I doubt that thing was ported.

I'm actually hoping it wasn't because then you could do this for cheap ->   http://bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=130851&page=1

That is the best bang for your buck. Dyno proven too.

Ported himself...

I'm all for DIY stuff, but of all the mechanics that I work with, not one of them would even attempt to port a 2 stroke.  I'd be leery about that...

Your idea to tear into it when it needs it is a good one, so long as your crank is fine, it has compression (already checked), it passes a leak test, and the jetting is accurate.  At that point, I'd send the jugs to a reputable builder and order domes from the same guy.