Only start with carb cleaner

Mrdjc

Take the spark plug boots off.. trim the wires back more exposing the uncovered wire. Re-crimp them and see if that makes any difference, this is solely speculation in response to your comment about possibly only one side having spark.

Good, the price of a head gaskets well worth the piece of mind knowing a pistons not deteriorating. I would put the head back on, perform a leak down test to check for possible air leaks from the bottom up, if it passes that your carbs are clean and slides are in the right direction, stator is free of excess dirt/rust/muck, pickup gap on stator to flywheel is set correctly then I would look further into the coil being the issue. You had mentioned the key was deleted?? Are the wires cut and connected directly to one another or is it just jumped from one peg to the other with a piece of wire? If its jumped thats a dead short waiting to happen

I will try to perform the leak down test tomorrow once I look up how to do it. That is a good question. Guy I got it from before did all the work. I have ridden it for about a year and no problems. Now that I'm tearing into it the wires are f'ed up so I'm not sure which wires are for the brake but they're lots of dangling wires. Would a short cause it to just die flat or like if it were running out of gas

Weak or intermittent spark could very well cause an issue like that, either way if you have a rats nest of wiring I would suggest doing something about it as it will only cause more headaches down the road trying to trouble shoot issues.

Now I don't think it is weak spark I sprayed some fuel down the intake, plugged up the pipes with paper. Kicked it once it fired right away and both papers flew out. I would assume that means I'm getting good spark but no fuel to the head. I have cleaned the carbs like 10 times.