Squish clearance

I'm setting up my squish, with the base gasket it's at .070 . The base gasket I have is .020 thick. How many of you guys run with out the base gasket? And what kind of sealant would I use to glue the cylinder down? It's a 65 mm bore ss cub.

Any particular reason why you don't want to cut new domes and still run a base gasket?

Sent from a van down by the river

.020" will change port timing 2-3 degrees, my 10mil cub that I just built was @200 degrees on the main exhaust port with a .020" base gasket! 197 degrees without a gasket. I glued the cylinders directly to the cases with yamabond 1211 and had domes cut for .050" squish. 197 exhaust 130 transfer, runs hard but I only have about 10 hours on it so far and after asking around this an acceptable method for sealing cylinders and cases.

.020" will change port timing 2-3 degrees, my 10mil cub that I just built was @200 degrees on the main exhaust port with a .020" base gasket! 197 degrees without a gasket. I glued the cylinders directly to the cases with yamabond 1211 and had domes cut for .050" squish. 197 exhaust 130 transfer, runs hard but I only have about 10 hours on it so far and after asking around this an acceptable method for sealing cylinders and cases.

Cool thanks for the info.

I wish someone would have told me how bad the water jacket plugs are, I had my new engine all bolted in before I realized they didn't seal the first time, tried sealer of all kinds, couldn't get them to hold coolant for the life of me! 3rd times a charm... I guess, lmao!

I've used the white threebond and motoseal. They both worked fine. Motoseal cures quicker, the white threebond is easier to cleanup.

Sent from a van down by the river

I always used rtv from the Chevy dealership cause it was free and held up to a leak down test. I feel nervous using it on the cylinder surface area.

I wish someone would have told me how bad the water jacket plugs are, I had my new engine all bolted in before I realized they didn't seal the first time, tried sealer of all kinds, couldn't get them to hold coolant for the life of me! 3rd times a charm... I guess, lmao!

Mine has Red lock tight with no problems.