Boaring Your Engine

Any time you bore the cylinder you are reducing the amount of life a cylinder has. Each over bore is one less piston size you can use in case of engine failure. Once you get to the last bore the liner is pretty thin and will cause problems. You can have the cylinder relined with another stock liner or go with a big bore kit. You don't gain a lot of power just from boring either.

SDD pretty much hit it on the head. Important point to remember with a banshee. Do NOT bore it looking for more power. You must save the bores for catastrophic engine failure. This is what happened to me last year.

I got my shee in the spring. On the first ride, i clogged a main, and smoked the right side. Melted the piston. I rebuilt the top end, and it was already bored .020" over, so I went to .040" over. I then sprung an air leak, and melted the top end, yet again, on the right side. I rebuilt it, and went .050" over. After break in, I let friend take it out while we are hangin' out havin' a camp fire. He comes back, and it blew a hole in the piston. I had the incorrect dome shape, due to a miscalculation that left me with not alot of squish. So, I rebuilt it again, and I cleaned up the cylinders with a hone job and kept it at .050" over. During break in, the lower rod bearing let go, i think due to the fact that i didn't clean out the case very good. That pissed me off. I completely strippd the bike down, and rebuilt from the ground up. New everything. I am now at .060" over, and I still have a couple more bores left. now, think of it this way, what if after the first blow up, I had went to .080" over in search for more power. (which there are minimal gains, not worth the risk). I would have had to re-sleeve the cylinders and that I didn't/wouldn't want to do. It's not necessarily a concern of how much life a cylinder has, but with each overbore, you are reducing the number of times you can seriously smoke the top end and repair it.