Update on my 1/8 time

aleyesonme

Local track finally opened back up and and got to try a new sprocket ratio 2.05 in place of the 2.11 I first ran.....since I was running outta gear way before the finish line....anyway I was slower in every category, 60 ft, et, and mph....with the 2.11 ratio ran a 6.991, best I could get the 2.05 ratio was a 7.22......not sure what to do...I rather have the faster time but I also rather save my motor....I'm stumped, not really sure what to do at this point....maybe go back to the 2.11 ratio and get bigger tires maybe???? Any suggestion??... Yeah I went from a 18 38 to 18 37 cub on pump gas if that helps

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk

Local track finally opened back up and and got to try a new sprocket ratio 2.05 in place of the 2.11 I first ran.....since I was running outta gear way before the finish line....anyway I was slower in every category, 60 ft, et, and mph....with the 2.11 ratio ran a 6.991, best I could get the 2.05 ratio was a 7.22......not sure what to do...I rather have the faster time but I also rather save my motor....I'm stumped, not really sure what to do at this point....maybe go back to the 2.11 ratio and get bigger tires maybe???? Any suggestion??... Yeah I went from a 18 38 to 18 37 cub on pump gas if that helps

Had to refresh my memory on what was going on. I recommended that 2.05 ratio.

What I didn't get into was other changes you have to explore to make something work. Plain & simple we gear for the desired RPM we want to attain at the end of our run. For 1/4 mile our best ET came with a gearing able to achieve 10,800 RPM. We don't spin it as high for the 1/8 mile, but it's well over 10,000 RPM.

Now, to be able to use the gearing we want. We depend a lot on our clutch set-up, but there are other areas that need to be addressed also.

While I'm not saying the 2.05 is right for your combo, but I would ask some questions & try some stuff before giving up on it.

1st thing & IMO the most important! What was the rpm crossing the finish line & was it in the gear you wanted, 5th or 6th.

the biggest problem I found with asphault is being consistant, launch limter, clutch tune will get you consistant . Just by holding the throttle you will never leave the same way twice and if your feathering the clutch you just brought in more variables, I use a tach off a go cart works well and is easily removable if street racing, I have never ran 1/8 but I can easily get through all 6 , imo a 6 speed is a must on pavement

Yeah I agree that having 6th is a must or plus....therefore I wouldn't have had to change my gearing ratio....so my thing is why is it that you see most people run a 1-5 rather than 1-6 override....I would think that having a 6th gear just in case u need it....better to have And not need than to need and not have.

Its the most popular set up for sure, it seems a full 1-6 overide is very unreliable and most tranny guys have a hard time getting them to stay together or just plain out wont cut em . I use 1-4 m5th,6th with a shift kil

Oh ok now I see why they are not popular. ...thanks....either I need to figure out my clutch or go back to a 2.11 with bigger tires

Its the most popular set up for sure, it seems a full 1-6 overide is very unreliable and most tranny guys have a hard time getting them to stay together or just plain out wont cut em . I use 1-4 m5th,6th with a shift kil

I have never ran 1/8 but I can easily get through all 6 , imo a 6 speed is a must on pavement

We have found a 6 speed is a must for the quickest ETs for 1/4 mile. We started with a 5 speed for 1/4 & was pretty fast. It just took a lot more work.

Yeah I agree that having 6th is a must or plus....therefore I wouldn't have had to change my gearing ratio....so my thing is why is it that you see most people run a 1-5 rather than 1-6 override....I would think that having a 6th gear just in case u need it....better to have And not need than to need and not have.

While we have a 6 speed, our quickest 1/8 mile times come only using 5th gear.

X2 on the full 1-6 override, but it's the fastest!

X2 on the 1-4 manual 5/6 with shift kill. It works very well & is reliable.

Oh ok now I see why they are not popular. ...thanks....either I need to figure out my clutch or go back to a 2.11 with bigger tires

IMO, figure out your finish line RPM 1st. Most people will gear to hit their peak hp rpm at the finish line. Then work on the other areas suggested to get it to ET.