J arm suspension set up

salmon_slayer06

Now that the motor has been rebuilt and has a little more pep, I want to replace the entire suspension setup. First I want to replace the shocks. Stage 3 elkas were my first choice. Seen some old hill climbing posts where one of you were running elkas, thats what sold me on those. I want to go wider but being a jarm some of you may say get an "a arm" frame. I see Fire ball racing has a +2+1 jarm  kit. Anyone have any info on these?  I seen Elka makes a extended travel rear shock setup. Seeing that this alone is somewhere in the 1600 range... it gets expensive quick.

Or I keep what I have which is bone stock and just get the Elka stage 3 kit for all around.

I trail ride mostly. Any advice? Any good deals out there right now?

depends what kind of riding your doing. I have both and id say they ride the same. if your duning and dragging i wouldn't worry about it. That said,  I hit a rock (small boulder half showing with a flat spot facing me) just off the trail on my j arm frame it stopped me dead.  i was just putting in 1st gear but it flattened my tire and bent the j arm right into the shock. The lower a arm was undamaged. Now i dont know if that accident would have bent an upper a arm but it shredded my J arm. However i have jumped over 50ft over and over and even measured the distance and it handled it just fine. i felt no difference on either bike so i wouldnt say they are weak but i have heard they arent as strong as an A arm frame.

good info. Probably stick with the jarm since its in good shape. I'm a weekend warrior that mostly rides trails. But the trails I ride are compareable to Bull Gap, or St. Helen.... Loose sand mixed with some hard pack and wide open trails made for speed. Well time to research some more.....

I've narrowed my search to this.....

Fireball Racing +2+1 Jarm with the Elka Stage 3. Now being a wider Jarm/ a arm does this mean I need to order Long travel shocks? Seeing Elka has a good deal going right now I'd figure bite the bullet and get the J arm setup that I been looking at. Wish I could get the Elka long travel for rear too and I'd be a happy camper. May even do it if I can still get the LT rear shock but have to get the wishbone piece seperate. If any site sponsors have any info or would like to suggest something I would appreciate it.

good info. Probably stick with the jarm since its in good shape. I'm a weekend warrior that mostly rides trails. But the trails I ride are compareable to Bull Gap, or St. Helen.... Loose sand mixed with some hard pack and wide open trails made for speed. Well time to research some more.....

You need to join us on some Silver Lake dune trips this summer.  :clap:

when you buy your elkas you specify exactly what arms you have and what length swingarm and they  build them accordingly.  a wider stance doesnt necessarily make it long travel. you would have to buy arms that are wider and long travel and im not exactly sure if they make long travel J arms, they very well may but unless they say they are then they are not.

when you buy your elkas you specify exactly what arms you have and what length swingarm and they  build them accordingly.  a wider stance doesnt necessarily make it long travel. you would have to buy arms that are wider and long travel and im not exactly sure if they make long travel J arms, they very well may but unless they say they are then they are not.

Okay that clears things up for me. Now I know I will need longer brake lines. Is that minor stuff I can get fairly easy?

Okay that clears things up for me. Now I know I will need longer brake lines. Is that minor stuff I can get fairly easy?

i have heard of multiple people saying they stretched their stock brake lines to fit +2+1 arms i havnt tried that personally as i got brake lines with my a arms. Also you will need longer tie-rods, sometimes these are included in the package depending on where you buy them if not they are easy enough to get. Several different sponsors offer them here.

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased those arms. Glad to hear some info and someone who has this set up. Can't to see the pics.. I should be getting those in the mail sometime in March. Did you by any chance get to see the new and improved hill billy banshee?

Pics of new and improved hill billy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

here is one of the current fireball chasis with K&T performance motors. This the "new" hillbilly your talking about?

This one is actually the "SLW 02"

now if your talking about the turbo rappy then thats the "SLW 01"

SLW = Super Light Weight

I will have to find somewhere to post better pics that i dont have to compress. Thanks Estep for posting pics of the shee.post-47286-0-14095900-1393429881.jpg