New Guy. Former Banshee Hater. lol.

Blown 331

New guy here, got my first Banshee yesterday.  I tought I'd introduce myself and include a little history of my sport quads, but I'll keep that brief.  I've mostly been a Honda guy and a 4 stroke guy. My first was an 87 TRX250X which was stolen.  After that I bought a brand new 03 400EX then sold that to get the new 04 Honda 450R.  I sold that to buy the new 06 450R, but instead I bought a Harley and another 03 400EX.  I just never cared for Banshees or gave them a 2nd thought. The only ones I ever rode were bone stock and I wasn't too impressed

A few months ago I picked up a Polaris Outlaw, solid axle version with the 525 KTM engine.  What a complete beast.  Anyone else familiar with those?  The 400EX's days were numbered after that.  The bottom really fell out on the value of those and it wasn't worth even selling so I put it up for trade for a Banshee and scored a 2001!  So now a Honda guy has Polaris and Yamaha.  Maybe its a small sample size but every Honda 450 I have been around has locked up, bikes and quads, some more than once. .

My Banshee seems to pull the hardest at about 3/4 to 7/8 throttle opening. Its seems to loose accelleration at wide open. The PO did say it was a little rich for safety.  Does that sound like it may be too rich on the main jet?  (has 1 carb)  I had someone tell me there was too much timing- see info below.   It does nothing but spin the tires if you're really on it, almost seems hard to get the front end up. 

My only plans are front fenders and some graphics. I'm looking for suggestions there. Wheres a good place to get fenders at a decent price?  Used or aftermarket is fine.  I've been watching a few on ebay.  The new ones are expesive as hell and the only used I see in my color come with rear fenders as well.  Need brackets too.  And so far I'm leaning towards these graphics in sliver. They are pretty basic but the price is right and I think it will make the bike look a lot better.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251403401602?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

So here it is and what the PO said about it.  The HP estimates seem pretty high to me but this thing is a blast and easily beat my brothers 450R, especially from around 40mph and up. 

Just looking for some comments and suggestions on it since I know nothing about Banshees.  He doesn't specify below but the FMF's are fattys.

The engine has around 20 hrs on it, the cylinders were bored and ported by passion racing engines in Tulsa, it has a prodesign cool head with custom cut domes from noss machine, its set up to run 110 octane fuel, it has an adjustable timing plate and the timing is set at +7, it has v force 3 reeds, trinity stage 4 intake with a 35mm pwk carb on it, fmf exhaust, fullflight+2 +1 a arms,
I'm sure im missing something but it runs great, its supposed to make 65 to 70hp to the tires on dyno.

This is after I got it dirty.  Below is the craigslist pic.

20131222_134307_zpsq3ubakvk.jpg

IMG_20981651647467_zpsydwsmoxr.jpeg

Edited by Blown 331

depending on the port that it was given that hp isnt out of the ordinary. with twin carbs anyway.

if ya happy with the way it rides, ride the shit out of it. but id be tempted to put dual carbs on it.

plastics comes around, here and there. just keep an eye out, on the forsale section here or ebay.

the stock front shocks are pretty average especially on + arms,   after market front shocks makes a world of difference.

Thanks for the info.  I forgot to mention the port.  He said it was an agressive trail port if that means anything to you.  I'm happy with the way it runs so I'll probably stick to the single carb.  The guy gave me all the dual carb stuff including another carb.  I'm guessing twin 35s would be major over kill though.  I have a 1984 Honda XR500R with dual carbs, not a fan!  lol. 

I'll look into shocks, I may do that.  Thanks again!  

trail port is more based around low-mid power.  so 55-60 would be probably closer.  but its hard to say unless you know the port timings.

35's would be over kill. stock 26mm carbs are good for around 75-80hp.

haha dual carbs are fine. but as its new to ya, just ride the shit out of it. if it runs fine, leave it.  its a banshee, youll end up playing with it later :D.

Well I have everything I wanted on the way.  The guy on ebay selling front and rear fenders together sold me just the fronts, they look pretty nice and have factory decals on them.  I placed an order with SHS motorsports for the brackets, bolts and a few other odds and ends.  Got free shipping over $50.  Then I ordered the above decal kit I posted but in white since thats what color is already on the front fenders I am getting. 

What does everyone think about 7 degrees of timing on my bike?  Too much?  It seems to make more power right up to wide open but then loose power at wide open, I'm wondering if that could be it or if its too rich on the main?

Well I have everything I wanted on the way.  The guy on ebay selling front and rear fenders together sold me just the fronts, they look pretty nice and have factory decals on them.  I placed an order with SHS motorsports for the brackets, bolts and a few other odds and ends.  Got free shipping over $50.  Then I ordered the above decal kit I posted but in white since thats what color is already on the front fenders I am getting. 

What does everyone think about 7 degrees of timing on my bike?  Too much?  It seems to make more power right up to wide open but then loose power at wide open, I'm wondering if that could be it or if its too rich on the main?

Most likely your loosing power at wide open because of the single carb.

• Like 1

I understand 2 carbs make more power at WOT than a single.  I accept that and I'm fine with it. 

But if I'm at WOT, I can let up a little and start making considerable more power.  My single carb makes more power at 90% open than it does at 100% open.  Something is wrong here. 

What is your plug reading after a WOT and kill pull? That is going to tell you a lot... Usually a WOT bog is lean, best thing to do first is check the jetting to see where it's at...