whats the best way to paint my frame and a arms with a rattle can

Aaron109

I dont wanna powdercoat I just wanna go to the hardware store and buy the stuff whats the best way

Take the bus.

I dont wanna go like completely cheap though I want it to be durable and look good and llast awhile

……..and I want to buy the products from a hardware store……and have them look like automotive paint…..and glisten like a Bass Boat paint job……durable like chrome plating…. maybe find a special clear coat that is self cleaning…..some thing I can spray on raw aluminum to make it look polished….

best if it can be applied without any prep…….over dirt and oil…....in place on my assembled bike……able to hold up to the heat when I paint my pipes…….should look like a candy over chrome with deep clear…....but be a one step finish….with no wet sanding of buffing……hard as a rock too……..maybe a kit made for ATV's specifically…….in just the color I'm picturing…..for $19.99 or less…….should dry to the touch in 5 minutes……in my 34 degree shed………and touch-up easy……same mega deep shiny metallic finish should also work on my plastics……because I want my machine to look super bad ass!…….TODAY!….because we're going riding in about 2 hours and I just realized my machine is a jalopy and I don't have the patience to clean it…….anyone know if this Krylon I found in the shed will work…..or work for now….hope so…..can you use paint if it's been frozen?…..I'm just goin to go for it……I'm willing to take my time so it turns out right…….I'll bake it with my sister's blow drier…..that should make it harden awesome……and dry in time.

I'll post blurry phone pics from far away before the paint even dries when I'm done. 

Thanks for all the advice on how to do it best….but fuck that! My friends all spent stupid money doing that and I think my idea is going to Look better, Work better, Last longer, AND be Cheaper.

Edited by WINDYCITYJOHN400

well somebody is in a bad mood

;) Just sarcasm. If your not laughing…..you haven't read how many times posts end up like that.

Paint every damn thing on the machine flat black, (pipes, plastics, tires, rims, grips, cables, filters, brake rotors, motor, chain, the works! Fuck masking anything, just blast it all in black) then tell everyone you were going for that totally played out "Murdered Out" look.

Then be Oh So original and when you get tired of plain black (Or need to cover up some drips from your endless touch-ups) slap some Monster stickers on it. Later you can paint your hubs green to match

Then…..you can go nuts painting a bunch of stuff green. (Like your plastic stator side cover, your seat cover or anything else that comes to mind.)

Then a year later (After your motor burn down) you can list the rolling heap on Craigslist and we can advise the next owner on how to strip all that crap off and go for something nicer than the Road Warrior look.

hahahaha

Like this. But green.

They start out looking……better than the "Barn Find" they were before……and end up looking like they were decorated with neon green at a Rave and set on fire.

http://bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=146097&page=3

VHT Black Epoxy paint is pretty tough stuff. You can get in in gloss or flat / satin. If your not doing it in a heated shop I would wait until this spring or early summer before you do it though. Paint cures better when its not as cold.

Edited by jbooker82

If your buddies frames look like shit after a few rides, they need a new PC guy.

I'm not saying PC isn't nice and durable, I PC stuff all the time for various projects around the shop. I'd just like to see any bike powdered/painted/plated take 3 or 4 long weekend trips riding in rocky mountain terrain and still be perfect. When rocks and steel quad parts meet, whatever is in between them loses.

I painted two years ago during my rebuild.... It looked awesome, was painted with a spary gun and good automotive enamel... I scuffed, 2 coats self-etching primer,2 coats silver base coat,3 coats candy GM aqua metallic, and 3 coats ceramic engine clear, and then baked in it my friends drying booth... It was fine for the first season, then last season it chipped and peeled all over.. What a waste of time painting was... Getting it powdered this winter, same color and virtually the same price as it cost to paint it.... I have had both powdered and painted, and powder is 1000000000000x more durable.