Ignition system options what's everyone running?

southside

So nology may be an option if you need new wires or coil. Otherwise stock is widely suggested.

Yes. The stock stuff is very good. I run a Nology on my 10 mill. But a stocker on my 370. Stay away from aftermarket CDIs. MSD has a new system that some racers use on 3-4 cylinder monsters to find that last little bit of power and adjustability for a high end drag application. But it's not for 99.9% of us.

The msd I was referring to, was the old msd enhancer, the stator would keep the battery charged. Battery was only used for starting. Do they still make these?

My buddy has that system. Uses an R/C car battery. I don't like it at all. Charging circuit fails periodically. Timing changes are done with dip switches. I'd rather stay stock.

• 5 weeks later...

I ran a nology coil and hot wires. But like tyler said, there wasn't really is gain from it. I did notice a stronger spark and it was easier to start, but can't say I noticed any more power.

X2 ^^^^

I am running a stock CDI, stock stator and nology coil with hot wires. I have no problem at all so far on my dune bike. I am going to run the same set up on my drag build.

oooooohhhhhh....   ok  here we go..

dyna is a digital ignition.  failures are from using non resistor plugs and non resistor caps.  the cdi MUST have a good cap and r style plug ( like bR8es NOT b8es)  i run br9eix plugs.  the nology COIL works great with the dyna IF you use a resistor cap if using hotwire's..  i make my own wires from solid core wire and BWD componets that any auto store should have or can get.   ( the cdi is the same type and has the same issues that modern bikes have with electrical noise. )

SOOO  if you mount it right next to the coil  run straight wire's and non resistor plugs  its going to act all kinds of crazy and may not act up right from the get go.    then when you reinstall the simple oem cdi it will run just fine.  you can bolt the oem coil right on top of the oem cdi and ride all dang day.. 

the dyna ignition is fully programable the later years have a built in 2 step for stutter launch control ( but i think its a lil slow to disengage) has a rpm activated switch ( NOS!!) and is FULLY programable with 4 dipswitches for differnt timing curves.  you can program 4 differnt curves into it and try them all out in one outing.  OR use differnt ones for differnt track conditions..   they are very dependable IF SET UP RIGHT!!  you can use all other OEM parts on them is what i would recomend.  my biggest complaint is that you cannot download the curves or see whats loaded in the box.  so if you have a bunch of differnt ones to try out or run you really need to keep track of whats in it.  

my wife's bike is running a 6 year old dyna on an aftermarket coil.  485 ran a harley accell coil on it with dyna and the 535 i run one on it as well.   i have had one fail about 7 years ago.  thats when i figured out the whole digital thing after talking to the MANUFACTURER after changine my mounting locations and wire, caps, plugs  no problems since.

i have actually seen more oem cdi's fail then dyna......  

I agree the biggest downfall is that you don't know what is actually loaded in each curve, nor can you even confirm what you think is there. But they do fail more than OEM. I've never had OeM fail and had 1 or 2 dynas. By fail I mean they do not work. It is not a spark plug resistor issue.

Good luck with that question. I know twister and pps can provide modified oem stuff that works and is proven. not cheap though. I was quoted 1800 for a complete ignition. Lots of research and i think ive pieced together everything i will need for 1/4 the price.