Right Cylinder not firing properly, right pipe working very cold, bike revs very high

richybanshee

it sounds exactly like an air leak.  It could also be a jetting issue. 

Build yourself a leakdown tester.  The carb cleaner trick does not work for the 2 stroke motor nearly as well as the leakdown tester. 

When 2 strokes run lean, they will either rev by themselves, or they will "rev hang".....where they will not idle down when you rev the motor up.  This is caused either by an air leak (usually) or off jetting.

With you saying that you just did all that work and especially saying that AFTER 1/4 throttle the installation of vf4's (which have been shown to require a pilot jet increase) tells me that your running lean on your pilot.  You say your at 27.5 which would work good for aftermarket pipes, however without the jumping another size on the pilot it will kill one cylinder at idle speeds. 

Also....when these bikes do "run away".... instead of wasting time to try and remove filters and then snuffing the air horns to choke the bike to death........95% of the time they can be brought back down to normal by pulling the choke out and chopping at the throttle a few times. 

They're revving because they aren't getting enough fuel.....if you pull the choke (or actually the fuel enrichment circuit) you are giving it more fuel....and a few stabs at the throttle will usually dump enough fuel to choke it back to safe idle rpms to kedp from grenading itself.

The problem has been fixed.

I did not do a leak down test as I did not have all the materials to build a custom leak down tester at the time.

The problem was either an air leak through the gaskets between the reed cage and the cylinder or something wrong with the right carburetor.

What I did:

1. in my desperation took the cool head off and inspected everything, then torque everything back to 20 feet-pound
  2. used carburetor cleaner on both carbs, took jets out for cleanup
  3. installed 30 pilot jet
  4. created new gaskets using gasket paper I bought at Pep boys
  5. installed double gaskets for each reed cage at the join points (2 between reed cage and cylinder) and (2 between carburetor boot and reed cage)

I went to a local area to ride the bike and it is not "running away". Throttle response is greatly improved and revs like it is supposed to.

My next project will be to build the custom leak tester for future utilization.

Thanks for your suggestions.  :)

Forgot to mention that I switched the reed cages. The VForce4 installation instruction did not say or indicate that one reed cage hat to be set in a specific side. I did made sure the factory writing (letters) were at the top. 

Like I said before, for some reason the cage that was initially at the right side had one of the petals that is slightly opened. But that was not the problem as the bike is working now with the cage in the right side without any side effects.

Edited by richybanshee