Painting motor?

Tommygunn

Well my build is just about finished..(well...was). Had to pull the motor back out to split the cases (haven't done it yet). Everything on this bike is either brand new, or has been powder coated to look brand new. the engine looks the worst out of everything. Is there anything I can paint it with while its out of the bike that will look decent and hold up? I'm getting chrome case covers but the case itself looks like crap.

I see some people have theirs powder coated, how much work is involved in doing that?  I don't want to do much, maybe just tape everything off and spray it with some high temp black.? What does everyone else do?

Sand blast them, they will look like clean new aluminum again... ONLY blast the outsides of the cases while the engine in completely dismantled.... don't blast inside the cases. Then clean them good with engine degreaser and a power washer inside and out...

I just cleaned my daughters up well primered and painted them. They have held up very well. If you spill large amounts of gas on them it will fade the paint a little bit but it holds up well. 

It's going to take just about the same amount of prep either way to do it right. So if you like the blast look you might as well do that.

How did you do yours? Just clean it really well, prime and paint? I'm sure it takes a while to get clean. But...I can clean it. Just never took one completely apart. Don't really want to